get rid of hump in seat using stock seat pan later model

brianmac

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK how to

get rid of hump in seat using stock seat pan later model 1983.

im sure its been done B4 using and shaving stock seat pan and an EBAY cover for another old jap bike?

so i dont have to have the upholstery guy laugh at me again. or do I?

EMPHASIS HERE: USING STOCK SEAT PAN.

Here's what it looked like on the bike.

P5100034Medium_zps88aa18bc.jpg

P5100036Medium_zps29d998f8.jpg

P5090028Medium_zps07928d7c.jpg

P7030037Large_zpsc9ce0c89.jpg

P7030040Large_zps70479dd0.jpg

P7030043Large_zpsec312024.jpg

sorry, it does look great and is vast improvement over stock, but some of seat threads adress adding foam up front as well as shaving off the hump. my question was can it be done with that seat cover, or is it already a tight drum?

I suppose you could add more padding at the front of a late model seat, but the Heritage Special tanks are smaller than the Standard tanks and, IMO, you'd end up with a big, padded seat and a tiny tank.

How's $125 shipped for the seat sound? You'd be hard pressed to have an upholstery shop shave and recover yours for less.

That is a really nice tea seat but it's not the look that I'm going for I think the ears have to have off hasas some have s said but then the side covers won't line up correctly but but I have one cracked side cover and I and was thinking about using aluminum sheet metal to cover the sides because I have Mikuni 36vm with air filter pods but thank you

These are both the earlier, side hinge style seats. I fabbed a latch.

Stock early special metal side covers, I used a hammer and dolly at the fronts to fit them around the K&N air filters on the VM 34s

Crude, may get better paint this winter.
sidecover detail madness.jpg

Metal side covers have majorly different frame mounting than the later plastic covers.

Putting a Standard seat on an '83, much less making it look right. Many have tried and failed.

yes, im just gonna work my magik on the stocker seat, foam is easy seat pans are easy , provided in good starting condition, Fglass loves to stick to the pans, and u can shape and mold it. first ill uncover and add/delete foam to comfort /look, then if needed, mess with pan ears, when i get it right, then off to upholstry dudes. or maybe on of those off the shelf xs650 ebay seat covers? 39.99$ freesheeping

if you reshape the seat then no off the shelf seat cover will fit anymore. If you can sew, make one up. Otherwise, off to an upholsterer.

On the Boyd Coddington show their favorite upholsterer family always sanded the foam at the end to remove the trim marks. This way they will not show through the upholstery. U-Tube has some good videos on upholstery.

Back