GEt spark, got gas, not starting!

LuisN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New build, engine was working.
Integrated rect and reg, got spark just fine wires are all good. Carbs are fresh but wont start. Im going to throw bike out the window. And not to mention grindin noise from starter gear!!!!

Some more info. its a 71, Points system. i have ALL and i mean all the wires correct.

from the reg/rect all wires are

From REg/Rect:
Yellows all goto Whites to the Stator

Green goes to neg on Batt

Blue goes to IGN on the key

Orange goes to Green on Stator

Black from Stator goes to frame.

Red goes to Post on battery

Now, on the key:
From Battery + to B on key.
IGN goes to blue from Reg/Rect + Coil +

on Coil:
Brown's go to Post IGN

Orange Left coil goes to Grey on Point cable, and also tied in with the Condensor

Orange right goil goes to Orange on points and also the other wire on condensor.

Now, i did a bit of testing.
i took 1 carb off, the left and started with Starter and also kick started it and i got a back fire through the carb (i sprayed starter fluid) and also a pop from the pipe. i kick started it also and back fired again. BUT still does not want to start.

the starter motor is going bad, gotta change out the gear. its grinding like crazy and getting worse. so kicking from now on. battery is getting 13.13 volts so im good there and i have a charger on it.

i tried 2 sets of carbs. the carbs that were on there that were working before taking bike apart. and also a set of these

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2760/photo4fd.jpg

and it was working on that bike as well and its the same bike, same setup. we even tried using the coils and plugs. same issue wont start

i feel like the engine is either not timed correctly, ill test that 2morrow.. OR its not getting gas at all. the ONLY times i feel it starts is when i spray it with starter fluid. NOT from the carbs gas. =\

Yeah, definitely check the timing. Was the timing system removed? I know there are locator pins on the advance rod that need to catch properly, or the timing will go in and out and all over the place.

Kent

On points adjusting the gap changes the timing. Start with a basic tune up.
do things in this order.
Adjust the cam chain tension
Adjust the valves
Adjust the points gap
Adjust the points timing.
Doing these things in this order are necessary. If you do the points first then the cam chain it can throw the points off.
Get the mechanical right and you eliminate them from the problem.
Then if it still won't start then you know the cam, valves and ignition are ok and then you can start with other things.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help get your stock carbs working. For the VM's try www.amckayltd.com/vm34-36.pdf
Leo

Last edited:
The starter is an easy fix. You just need to tighten the wishbone shaped spring on the start gears behind the clutch.
A look through the XS650 TECH section will lead you to the "how to" on it.
Leo

i think first things first. im going to fix the starter gear. Do you think the gear is completely dead? or can i just adjust the wishbone shaped ring ?

also the chain tension is fine. valves have not been touched. points and all are fine also. BUT im going to recheck a 2nd time. and a 3rd.

is there a good how to on the points gap and adjustment? just want to make sure im doing it correctly.

Most any repair manual explains it very well. I like the factory books, the Clymer is ok. biker.net has some of the factory manuals for download.
Over at the Garage they have the factory books linked for down loads.
You might find links to "how to" in the tech section of this site.
Leo

ill try that retire,

i just checked timing and it was off. put it correctly at the F mark and still does not start. im going to kick the engine soon lol

So, the timing was def off. BUT retire, i tried swapping out the cables going to the coils before and nothing but did get spark and no start. BUT after the timing did it again and it worked! shes finally roaring like a lion.

thanks guys for all the help.. def had to set the timing.

Back