Getting an 80 something heritage

neogakai

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
After a few years away from motorcycles, Ive been looking for one and the winner seems to be a non-running 1982 Heritage Special for $300. Guy says it's a bad coil and that he had it running this year. He's supposed to bring it Sat. so I'll post some pictures.

I want wire wheels so that's good but I also want a level bike with a level seat for a scrambler build. I have a couple of question. Can I raise the back with longer shocks and can I/will I need to lower the fork too? What do I have to do to get a flat seat? Is the frame different than a non-special xs 650?

I guess first I'm going to see if the engine is ok, see if I can get it running. Then I'll start on the other stuff. Lot's of great ideas to drool over on the net.

Thanks,
Neo

Yes, you can raise it a little in the back with taller shocks, but if you go too high your chain will rub or you'll have to get a chain tensioner. I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere that explains exact lengths and their effects. You don't need to, but you can lower the forks through the trees or do some mods to shorten them, but everything you do will affect the bike's geometry and change the handling... which I'm sure you know already. To get a flat seat... are you talking about the frame rail geometry or the actual seat? If you mean the actual seat, you can buy one and modify it to fit, make one, or have your current seat reshaped.

Back