Getting back on two wheels

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
Hi! Yesterday i got my first XS650. On the title it is a 1980 Special II with almost 18,000 miles. Looks like it is ready to ride and has a current plate. I am going to dig a little deeper before I trust it. I started riding in 1965 on a Honda CB50. The one I wish I still had was my 750 Norton Commando with isolastic suspension and road holder forks. The XS is as close as I can get and has all the more interest and all of th aftermarket stuff. Nortons wouldn't work for me today and I am very happy to join the ranks of XS owners.

I did notice one thing. What is with the rubber mounted handlebars and do most people change to solid handlebar mounts? I plan to go to a "brat" style over next winter as I live in Wisconsin. I have already gotten some great help from this forum. I probably will be getting advice and not giving any but I would like to be of any help I can give.

Welcome back! We could be twins, I started in '66 on a Honda 90...

The rubber mounts are a vibration control thing. Us old coots that are used to vertical twins and expect a motorcycle to shake a little don't really need them, but I priced solid bushings and decided a set of new rubber mounts would be fine. Sure firmed steering feel up a bunch, my old ones were toast.

Haven't been able to put a bunch of miles on it yet, but I think it'll be fine.

Hugh of Hugh's Handbuilt ( http://hughshandbuilt.com/ ) has an excellent replacement for the handlebar mounts that is mostly solid with rubber 0-rings. He's a well-respected member (punkstar) here and his products are top notch. I used a set of his mounts on one of my XSs.

If you're running a high bar, ape hangers, Z bars or the buckhorns like came stock on Specials then Hugh's mounts are the trick but if you're running shorter bars then stock rubber mounts in good condition will probably work out fine.

You'll learn these bikes quickly here.

If the rubber mounts aren't totally shot and falling apart you can simply shim them by adding 2 washers to each side. Remove one of the risers and you'll notice it has a shaft that is a larger diameter than the threaded portion on the bottom. Take it to the hardware store and get (4) washers that just fit over the shaft. Place one on the top and one on the bottom of the rubbers on each riser.

My second bike was a CL305 Honda Scrambler. I tried to put together a lower seat and took it all apart to paint the frame. 45 years later I still want a lower seat and a paint job. thanks for the tip. cost can get in the way of things for a while. I may just get new rubber bushings. the handle bars really move a lot. my bushings must be shot too.

Thanks, I just ordered a set of Hugh's mounts.
Hugh of Hugh's Handbuilt ( http://hughshandbuilt.com/ ) has an excellent replacement for the handlebar mounts that is mostly solid with rubber 0-rings. He's a well-respected member (punkstar) here and his products are top notch. I used a set of his mounts on one of my XSs.

If you're running a high bar, ape hangers, Z bars or the buckhorns like came stock on Specials then Hugh's mounts are the trick but if you're running shorter bars then stock rubber mounts in good condition will probably work out fine.

You'll learn these bikes quickly here.

Back