getting rid of the Battery Eliminator Capacitor Kit

avery

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i have a PMA charging stystem with a battery eliminator capacitor kit on it.
i need to get the battery back into the system. i can't kick start, bad back,
so i need help in getting what i need and how to do it. please help.
thank you:banghead:

i have a PMA charging stystem with a battery eliminator capacitor kit on it.
i need to get the battery back into the system. i can't kick start, bad back,
so i need help in getting what i need and how to do it. please help.
thank you:banghead:

Hi avery,
my bad back was helped by weight loss and chiropracty, hopefully yours can be too.
To revert to E-start you will need:-
A working starter, solenoid and fat cables.
An at least stock size battery and a place to put it.
(PMA/capacitor guys tend to ditch the battery holder, if so you'll need to put it back)
Whatever runs your ignition now should still work off a battery rather than a capacitor?
Dunno what fits between a PMA and a capacitor but for a PMA to charge a battery it'll need a regulator/rectifier.

Hi avery,
my bad back was helped by weight loss and chiropracty, hopefully yours can be too.
To revert to E-start you will need:-
A working starter, solenoid and fat cables.
An at least stock size battery and a place to put it.
(PMA/capacitor guys tend to ditch the battery holder, if so you'll need to put it back)
Whatever runs your ignition now should still work off a battery rather than a capacitor?
Dunno what fits between a PMA and a capacitor but for a PMA to charge a battery it'll need a regulator/rectifier.

Thanks for replying Fred, I'll look at it closer tonight if I can and let u know what I have. Just got the bike a few days ago.

Posted via Mobile

I'll second that, a cap is great for kick only but not gonna fly with e start. As Fred said you'll need a starter, solenoid and good cables. The battery will wire up the same way as the cap...

I'll second that, a cap is great for kick only but not gonna fly with e start. As Fred said you'll need a starter, solenoid and good cables. The battery will wire up the same way as the cap...

Where can I find a starter? I found the relay, cables, battery, battery box. ?? And thanks for the help. :)

Posted via Mobile

My first instinct is to have you message member here gggGary. If he doesn't have one put a wanted ad up in the classifieds. Someone has a good one they don't need.

My first instinct is to have you message member here gggGary. If he doesn't have one put a wanted ad up in the classifieds. Someone has a good one they don't need.

Figure8 - thank you. gggGary hooked me right up with a starter.

Posted via Mobile

WQhen the Po did away with the starter did he just pull the starter and leave the rest or did he pull the rest. If so you might not be able to put the e-start back on that engine.
Some go so far as to pull out the shaft I the cases that supports the bendix gears. I don't think it can be replaced.
If he didn't pull that shaft then it can be done.
Some others split the cases and remove the cross shaft and the gear that can only be removed/replaced by splitting the cases.
Also, Did he weld the hole the starter goes in or jut plug it?
Talk to your PO and see just how he removed the starter.
Leo

WQhen the Po did away with the starter did he just pull the starter and leave the rest or did he pull the rest. If so you might not be able to put the e-start back on that engine.
Some go so far as to pull out the shaft I the cases that supports the bendix gears. I don't think it can be replaced.
If he didn't pull that shaft then it can be done.
Some others split the cases and remove the cross shaft and the gear that can only be removed/replaced by splitting the cases.
Also, Did he weld the hole the starter goes in or jut plug it?
Talk to your PO and see just how he removed the starter.
Leo

Hey Leo- the PO told me that he just took off the starter and put a
Starter block off kit on it to plug it . I'll ask him about the shaft.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Hey Leo- the PO told me that he just took off the starter and put a
Starter block off kit on it to plug it . I'll ask him about the shaft.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Hi avery,
some of the "kick only" guys tend to go further, removing the rear suspension.
Some don't stop there, they remove the front brake.
Someone with a bad back shouldn't ride a hardtail and only those with a death-wish should ride without a front brake.
What's the rest of your bike look like?

Hi avery,
some of the "kick only" guys tend to go further, removing the rear suspension.
Some don't stop there, they remove the front brake.
Someone with a bad back shouldn't ride a hardtail and only those with a death-wish should ride without a front brake.
What's the rest of your bike look like?

Hey Fred- yep, it does have a hardtail. PO isnt sure about the shaft being left in. It has a block off kit from tc bros installed? So I'm hoping the shaft is still there. Front brake is still there, thank God. I live in pa. Bike was from nj. So I have to add blinkers front and back. Both fenders. A speedo. At least 1 mirror. Not sure what else.
So I plan, hopefully, to add the electric start back on. I haven't tore it apart yet. I want to gather all the pcs. first. I want to add a few pics of my ride using my cell, but I'm new, and still clueless on how to add pics. I appreciate all of the help. Thank you.

Posted via Mobile

Hey Fred- yep, it does have a hardtail. PO isnt sure about the shaft being left in. It has a block off kit from tc bros installed? So I'm hoping the shaft is still there. Front brake is still there, thank God. I live in pa. Bike was from nj. So I have to add blinkers front and back. Both fenders. A speedo. At least 1 mirror. Not sure what else.
So I plan, hopefully, to add the electric start back on. I haven't tore it apart yet. I want to gather all the pcs. first. I want to add a few pics of my ride using my cell, but I'm new, and still clueless on how to add pics. I appreciate all of the help. Thank you.

Posted via Mobile

Hi avery,
let this list's classifieds be your first stop shopping guide for the used parts needed to make your bike street legal in Pa.
But first, before you put another dime into it, make sure you can register the bike in your name.
You don't wanna be one of those guys parting out a bike because the DMV Nazis won't let you put plates on it.
An easy way to put photos into your posts is to put them on Photobucket and send them from there.
Ctrl+c takes them from photobucket; Ctrl+v puts them into your post.

Fred makes a good point, don't get ahead of yourself. But assuming you get that all squared away, when you pull that block off to the starter your gonna have to remove the starter gear cover right below the front sprocket. Have your oil pan handy because that's basically the lowest point of the engine oil, it's gonna come out. Once that cover is removed you'll know if those necessary gears are in there or not....there will be two on a post.

Bringing up an old thread about putting a starter back in.
I have reinstalled the gears on the left side. While in there, I saw a crescent of gear teeth showing. Could this mean that PO has left the critical part of the gear train intact.?
I have not dismantled the right side yet to give you any more details as what is in there, but I did install the starter and wired it up. Hit the button and it only spins so I guess I am missing more gears on the right side.

yeah the crescent of gear is a good sign. prolly will need everything for the bendix on the right.

Thanks for that gggGary, if I open it up and find out we are right I will let the site know.
That job,though, is way down the priority list right now.

Back