gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

Rear rotor machining take 2, lol
15274299914511278065294.jpg
It's on the bike and I'm headed out for 100 mile brake test. :woowoo:

Which went quite well. Jetting must be getting close, fuel stop indicated 50MPG not babying it.

Last edited:
With a long trip to Arkansas drawing near I decided the Borla's were just too loud to listen to for 2000 miles. I stole the "commandos" off resto which then got a set of stock mufflers "for now". Mid range feels fine and a mid range plug chop looks good, High RPM is a bit off but as usual I have a tough time deciding which way to go first. probably try going down a size on the mains.
20180606_130303.jpg

Too loud? Oh yeah, that's a real likely excuse for leaving those Borlas home. But I can't blame you. If they were mine I wouldn't bring them to a rally either, they might walk off and follow somebody else home.

Mailman, I have been running this since late 2015. No bucket cutting, plug and play. The price is coming down from what they used to be. I won't put one on a PMA bike but it sure seems to cut the load for stock charging systems.

WER - I like that Daymaker - but the advert calls it an HID - so would that not require all the extra ballast etc. etc. etc. that goes along with HID lights?

If I could just pop one into my XS650's, I'd grab two of them and be done with it because the shop in Ypsilanti is less than an hours drive from my place.

Pete

Last edited:
Well my VM main jet selection had a huge hole, dropped from 210's to 180's !!!! (a 200 vanished down a worm hole while installing :cussing:) and no 190's on hand. Runs great but a plug chop looked scary white. Gotta go find some 190's and 200's locally.

madness chop 6-7-18.jpg

Last edited:
Are those headlight ears specific to 35mm forks? I don't see any bushings in there. They are the style I really like, but every set I find is for 41/39/35 mm etc. and has a ton of bushings.

@MaxPete. I dunno Pete if you scroll through the pics the unit is just one piece with the pigtail. The "lights" are LED's but I have no idea what is in the units housing. I haven't experienced high heat from it.

@CoconutPete I found some used ears in that style that were 35 mm. So at some point someone made them without spacers. I can't help with a current vendor. If you find them please post.

I'm hoping to ride this to Ozarks, lots to be done yet.
You'll make it. Last thing is do a practice packing. You might be surprised how little will fit on there with you. Never have such big bags held so little.

Well my VM main jet selection had a huge hole, dropped from 210's to 180's !!!! (a 200 vanished down a worm hole while installing :cussing:) and no 190's on hand. Runs great but a plug chop looked scary white. Gotta go find some 190's and 200's locally.

View attachment 119855
It's been what, 3+ years, but I think you got some 190's from me in the cache you bought from me?

Last edited:
now like XJ sez gotta get the packing-bags figured out.
Do you have a sissy bar that will fit it? Best thing is to get a roll bag like a duffel bag but shorter and wider and with a zipper, and strap it to the inside of a sissy bar so it also becomes a back rest. I think they are big gym bags. I have a big bunch of amazing army surplus straps that are about 2' long with a clip on one end like a big alligator clip the width of the strap, and plain on the other end. You can combine them to make longer straps. They cinch down real tight. Real glad I stumbled onto those back when.

Back