gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

Yeah it's fun (to work on :cussing::laughing:). Sssshh! That is the secret iggy switch.
I gotta change fork seals and have a set of Harley springs to install, see what's been done inside the forks. I need to ride madness back to back with resto, that has mikes emulators and the harley springs. Resto seems smoother both ends. I'm hoping to ride this to Ozarks, lots to be done yet. Odd combo of hot rod, and old man comfort stuff LOL. Pretty loud....
10-15' paint job, think it's an old lacquer job on the the tank, some crazing, side covers are poorly rattle canned.

Last edited:
Got a new throttle cable from mikes, with the elbows on the carb tops the sheath needed to be trimmed back a bit (12mm). I am loving that little heat shrink gun from banggood. heat lets the ferrule pull off easy, It's not hard but very fussy work, cutting all around the sheath without nicking the cable. Hint push the cable back into the sheath a bit so any possible nick won't be right at the sheath end. I needed to make two slots lengthwise, that steel is hardened and you can't just unbend the little pieces. I ground the threads off the carb top elbows so they just slip into the carb tops, Otherwise unthreading the tops to change needle clips is near impossible.
Sorry about focus.

DSCN9116.JPG DSCN9117.JPG DSCN9118.JPG DSCN9122.JPG DSCN9115.JPG DSCN9123.JPG DSCN9119.JPG DSCN9120.JPG DSCN9121.JPG

Last edited:
Inside the shell crowded but it all goes in there.
DSCN9143.JPG
I really like this Bondo flexible black epoxy, find lots of uses.
DSCN9142.JPG
The turn signal stalks get some so they don't turn down, if I over tighten the nut, the bolt pulls out of the rubber stalk.
Full throttle up the hill plug chop.
DSCN9141.JPG

Oooh an LED headlight! I can’t believe you can fit that box in there. Are you worried at all about the heat given off to those braided heat sinks, causing any problems in the shell?

I can’t wait to see that puppy lit up! I think this might be the first XS that I’ve seen with an LED headlight. Maybe?
This is starting to resemble 2M’s gadget laden bike. I love it!

In short NO. The grizzly bear did it first, he drilled a big hole in the back of the shell. Too bad these broview have become impossible to find. I got thousands of miles on Broviews in other bikes, no worries on the heat. In total there's less wattage being used than the stock bulb. Saw two deer on trip at dusk last night, it's the ones you DON'T see............ The Broview about doubles? the amount of light on the road, fits in the bucket AND has proper cutoff on low beam, that's rare in LEDs.

I just run the typical 55/60 H4 replacement. While I do see about a half volt drop at idle when I turn it on, at speed there is little, if any, change in charging output.

Oh, I like that little heat gun. I've been using a big, full size one, a bit bulky and it can be too hot if you're not careful. Just ordered the Banggood special, lol.

Yeah that's the one! I used a reflector/lens from india,. Those daymakers may be a better choice now that price has come down.

Did I miss the details about what mufflers you're running? Sounds good, can't wait to hear it under load!!!

Rode Resto today and thought the Harley springs and MikeXS cartridge emulators on that bike made for a smoother more controlled ride than Madness, I have a set of 35mm Sportster springs here already.

I know XSLeo recommends those. How do you like them as compared to the progressive styles offered. I'm thinking of trying them because they're reasonably priced. Are yours actual Harley or aftermarket?

The ones on resto were eBay - used sportster. I tested those as about 15% stiffer than stock The ones I just bought are from the manual store
http://www.themanualstore.com/

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
VTWIN24-0904 35mm Fork Tube Spring Set
1 $45.29 $45.29

Subtotal: $45.29
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $7.70
Grand Total: $52.99
I have not tested these yet but will do at least a basic comparison against stock springs before I install them. I think they are about 1/2" longer than "used" stock springs.

Madness is beautiful, great mods (almost missed a few) I must have missed the post on your
instruments...are those Triumph? I like 'em.

Back