Glass Bead Size Selection for Blasting

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
I have access to an industrial blasting cabinet. I plan to glass bead blast my cylinder head, which has been sealed up with covers and gaskets (the latter made from HF's Nonslip Toolbox Solid Liner material). Thanks to TwoJugs for that tip!

My options for glass beads include:

#8 (Medium), Size 60/100 (Bead Size Range, diameter, inches): .0083 - .0059

#10 (Medium Fine), Size 100/170 (Bead Size Range): .0059 - .0035

Which one should I use? Or use one, then the other?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Head_1.jpg
    Head_1.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Head_2.jpg
    Head_2.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Head_5.jpg
    Head_5.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Head_3.jpg
    Head_3.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I did not have access to an industrial blasting cabinet, but I did purchase a blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight (the small one) and I did not regret it. I went with the fine glass beads and if you look @ my build you can see pretty much how it looks. Hope you like. Oh, and I'm looking at some of your threads. VERY INTERESTING. :thumbsup:

I have access to an industrial blasting cabinet. I plan to glass bead blast my cylinder head, which has been sealed up with covers and gaskets (the latter made from HF's Nonslip Toolbox Solid Liner material). Thanks to TwoJugs for that tip!

My options for glass beads include:

#8 (Medium), Size 60/100 (Bead Size Range, diameter, inches): .0083 - .0059

#10 (Medium Fine), Size 100/170 (Bead Size Range): .0059 - .0035

Which one should I use? Or use one, then the other?

Thanks!

I used #8 for the cylinder head cover/head and cylinder block.

I used #10 for my lower crankcase half (disassembled), & carb covers and bowls.

Overall, I was happier with the finer glass beads(#10), but they are both pretty darn fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 226
Oh sweet! I lived in Springfield for a while. Man that's a sweet cabinet. If it wasn't because my engine needed a complete teardown I would've looked into making covers like that.

Did lots of bead blasting with my project bike.

Found the new stuff cut more and was very coarse but with re-using it over and over got finer.

So was great at the last for areas that just needed touching up and a finer blast.

Blast cabinet sitting in your shop, a big bonus for project work.

Did lots of bead blasting with my project bike.

Found the new stuff cut more and was very coarse but with re-using it over and over got finer.

So was great at the last for areas that just needed touching up and a finer blast.

Blast cabinet sitting in your shop, a big bonus for project work.

A blast cabinet sitting in a shop (although not mine) that I have access to at work is nice too! :D

That's a big plus there. I think what took me the longest wasn't putting the parts together, was blasting part by part inside my tiny cabinet. I'm pleased with the overall result though.

Using the Harbor Freight toolbox liner is ingenious! I've been pondering different ways to tape everything up but came to the conclusion that as soon as those glass beads hit that flimsy frog tape, they'll rip it right off! Can't wait to try it out myself.

Back