God, I love my XS!

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I currently own 3 motorcycles; a 1978 XS650 Special, 1976 Honda GL1000 naked Goldwing, and a 1984 Harley XLH1000 Sportster. All 3 have very unique attributes and personalities but if a gun was held to my head and I had only one to choose to keep, it's the XS! The other two can go in a heartbeat!

I bought this bike in sad shape for $500 when I was unemployed because I needed something to keep my mind busy. It was cheap, worn out (65,000 miles), leaked oil like a sieve, wire harness was fried, etc, etc, I spent the better part of a year learning all the nuances of the XS through this forum and managed to resurrect it back from the dead. I was even graced by a personal visit from Grizld1 to help with my cam chain alignment and a good visit. I never knew how strong the following of these bikes were until meeting Dick and joining the forum. Issue after issue is met with quick, knowledgeable responses from members here and not one single smart ass is in the group. You guys really love to help and keep these old bikes on the road. Not one time did I ever feel dumb by asking a question, even if it has been asked multiple times.

My other bikes have their positive attributes as well. The GL1000 is shaft driven, smooth as silk, and very powerful. The Harley has a ton of torque, has a nice rumble, and it's the first bike that I can sit on and touch flat footed to the pavement. BUT, the XS is dear to my heart. It's the first bike I ever rebuilt from nothing, I have a ton of pride in it, I think it's a beautifully designed bike, and it still gets noticed. I spent this past winter resurrecting the Sportster, and addressing the 4 synchronized carbs on the Goldwing with much frustration. Today I broke out the XS just to start it up and ride around the block. She fits me like a glove, sounds beautiful, and was a true joy to zip around the neighborhood, even if it was only for a few minutes. It will definitely be getting the most love of the three this riding season.

There's really no point to this post other than to exclaim my love for the XS. I have been away from the forum for a while and used this as an excuse to check in with you guys.

Take care!

Craig

Hey cmyoch.....................good to see you are back posting! I remember you had some struggles with the 1978 Special. But, I also recall you got it all sorted out. Yes you do have a diversity of bikes there. I think we can both agree that the 1978 Special was just about the best bike that Yamaha ever built.:love:

Cmyoch,not to take away from your thread, I feel the same about my '80 SG. Back in the Late 80's I traded away a mid 70's XS650 I had at the time. Soon afterward I regreted that trade. I had that regret until I bought this SG in 2010. Brought her back to life and on the roads here in southern AZ. Modded her to my ways and improvents. These XS650 have souls!

No take away at all. I just wanted to express my true love for the bike. I feel like if I ever sold mine, I'd be in the same boat as you. I'd regret it and long for another one. I periodically hop on Craigslist and don't see that many around for sale. I know there are thousands of them still out there in barns, garages, etc. just waiting to be found. It's almost like finding a jewel when a good one comes along.

cmyoch, I'd say given the content of your post and your signature line, you are a gentleman and a true connoisseur!

Thank you Craig you have restored my faith in Grizld1 again ! <GRIN>
glad to see he helped you out !
There's not much as satisifying as running up through the gears on an XS650 I have to admit !
their GREAT Machines !
Bob.........

I bought one brand new in 1981, a Special II with wire wheels, and I can still feel and visualize my 1st mile on it leaving the dealership.

Back