Going to buy back my old 1980 to build a tracker

yamaharichey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just registered and my first post, I had a 1980 that I sold back in about 83. Just finished restoring a 1970 Husqvarna 250 Cross, so looking for a new project. So I call the guy I sold my 80 to and sure enough he still has it and will sell it back to me. I want to make it a street tracker/desert sled. Don't know if this is the right area to post this, but I have a lot of questions. If I have the motor overhauled is it best to just retain stock or should you do high comp pistons and hot cams and such, and how important is this rephasing? I see there are several Utah guys, Im here in the Kaysville area, anyone you would recommend for the engine work? I don't want to go on and on but I have questions about the suspension and frame do I post each one of them in a different topic? I'm excited to start this project.

Lotta folks start a "build thread" and post pictures and questions as the project progresses.

"Hot rodding" the engine is a matter of personal preference. My own feeling is that a well tuned and good running stocker is plenty. As you start trying to squeeze more power out of it by bumping the compression and going to a lumpier cam, you spend a crapload of money, the tune gets fussier, it's harder to start, puts more stress on the engine and it needs higher octane (more expensive) gas.

OTOH, if I had the bucks, I'd send my engine off to Hugh for a rephase in a short heartbeat.

For street tracker/ desert sled inspiration go check out http://www.mulemotorcycles.net/. The godfather of trackers and does a fine job on a desert sled. As for engine mods and rephasing I'm sure you will get allot of opinions, some probably heated. Look around the site there is a wealth of info and welcome aboard.

Welcome to the group! Congrats on getting your '80 back! My question for you is why would you let others have the fun of rebuilding your engine and customize your frame and not do it yourself? I'm a '80 SG owner myself and last night pulled the motor to replace the camchain and install OS 5th gear and install the 1st stage ported head and elephant feet adjusters. Ive posted my progress under the "Makeing my '80 SG better"(or something like that). I've also posted pics in the gallery. I consider wrenching almost as much fun as rideing. If your new to wrenching, many have learned to wrench thier XS's with help from the forum and saved a bundle doing so. No offence ment.

Last edited:
Lotta folks start a "build thread" and post pictures and questions as the project progresses.

"Hot rodding" the engine is a matter of personal preference. My own feeling is that a well tuned and good running stocker is plenty. As you start trying to squeeze more power out of it by bumping the compression and going to a lumpier cam, you spend a crapload of money, the tune gets fussier, it's harder to start, puts more stress on the engine and it needs higher octane (more expensive) gas.

OTOH, if I had the bucks, I'd send my engine off to Hugh for a rephase in a short heartbeat.

Thanks so much for the replies I like your ideas, but who in the heck is hugh?

Welcome to the group! Congrats on getting your '80 back! My question for you is why would you let others have the fun of rebuilding your engine and customize your frame and not do it yourself? I'm a '80 SG owner myself and last night pulled the motor to replace the camchain and install OS 5th gear and install the 1st stage ported head and elephant feet adjusters. Ive posted my progress under the "Makeing my '80 SG better"(or something like that). I've also posted pics in the gallery. I consider wrenching almost as much fun as rideing. If your new to wrenching, many have learned to wrench thier XS's with help from the forum and saved a bundle doing so. No offence ment.

No offense taken I apreciate your input, But the thought of totally tearing the whole engine apart scared me so bad that I had to go lay down until I clamed down:laugh: I could maybe do a top end but not splitting the cases

Welcome to the site. Like downeaster said personal preference. I have a hot rod motor in my bike now. Yes it is faster. I would not say better for a street motor. The higher compression pistons change the characteristics of the motor. Mostly engine braking let off the throttle and the bike slows faster. I don't find that desirable. If your not racing you don't need a race motor. Gas mileage will suffer no more 50+. The list goes on clutch components will barely work on a stock motor same with the brakes ect. A stock motor is the best motor for a street bike. If you want to run with the big dogs. You got to piss like the big dogs. Heard that from a big dog in a bar when I was a young lad in a very exclusive hotel. I wasn't conforming to the dress code suit or sport coat to be served. I asked the bartender to provide me one. He complied. I was no dummy even if I didn't fit in. The big dog was a newspaper columnist. I learned that while talking to him and drinking a beer. I also found out what the place looked like inside :D Believe me you can piss away a lot of money on these bikes if you have to pay someone else to do it. I do all my own work because I can read and comprehend. Learning to wrench not that hard. Over tightening bolts and screws is pretty common for the beginner. A torque wrench is your best friend. You really don't need a lot of expensive tools. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment as doing yourself for me and learning. Nothing to be afraid of. Like azman857 said lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help you free of charge. I try to learn something new everyday. I bought a harbor freight press for $100 bucks. xsleo and I built and trued a couple of cranks. One stock the other a rephase not as hard to do as people make it out to be. Once you figure out the easy way. I'm putting my 80 SG daily driver back to stock bore and compression #1 cam and some port work. The 750cc rephased hot rod motor will go in the hot rod bike I have planed to build this winter. Low on funds now. Had to build one my inquiring mind wants to know if it the is worth it. :thumbsup:

Back