Going to go look at my first xs650..

tidd1340

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been around bikes for 4o years,never had an XS...going to look at this 82 for a bobber project..guy wants 750.00 for it..says it runs good no issues...only have these pics for now..has about 25,500 on it.Thoughts and ideas welcome..thanks.Seems like a great board.

Attachments

• yam1.jpg
    yam1.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 149
  • yam2.jpg
    yam2.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 204
I'd be suspicious about that front wheel. It should have 64 spoke on there. Check for damage of the forks and also the neck to see it was swapped becuase of an accident. There would be other signs too I'm sure.

You never know though, some people swap wheels just because they have a different one with a better tire on it so it might not be an issue at all.

Prices for XS650s vary depending on where you live. If it has a title and runs well, it's probably and fair enough deal.

Also, welcome to the site!

she's seen some miles for sure, check and make sure the head and base gasket are not leaking, if so then you can do some negotiating. Otherwise I'd other him $500 for it.

Mine has more miles that that, with no known issues and 150 lbs of compression. The fairing and the nice big bags are worth something too. I would be interested in the sissy bar minus the pad. It's a kind I see all the time but never saw one for sale.

I'm new to XS's aswell and I will say 3 things I learned real quick: clean title, compression, and line down from the rear to the front for straightness. I say this 'cuz I looked at 4 bikes and bought the 5th. All 4 had either no compression, a bent frame or forks, and the famous, "oh, you can fix the title".

Thanks for the tips..my plan right now is to get a bike like this for a doner.Im hoping to get a roller from G&L choppers within a few months.In NY you need a vin or its a big hassle.Im not in a hurry.I have a hot rodded Road King to keep me on the road till the bobber is done.Not sure if i should buy a neck with papers and just a motor? Are motors easy to come by in good shape?

Logical fallacy there - nothing has anything to do with ice cream. But I'm not ranting, just scratching my head.... :) Bemusedly.

In this Nostradamus quatrain, it is believed that somebody, someday will come up with a weld on softtail for the xs650!
"A child of the lion,
Having seen the damage done,
Will strive to repair
the best of the Sun."

This is my favorite "rant" against the sawzall crowd, taken from another list. I particularly like the last reason he gives, lol .....

"If you bob , cut , defile , desecrate , sawzall or otherwise mutilate the '70 ..
Gawd will kill a kitten , maybe two .
your pudenda will shrivel and fall off
My wiccan sister will turn you into a quivering snot wad
Your next bike will be an Xv700
You may wake up next to a liberal democrat
The remaining signs of the apocalypse will be posted outside your home
Every time you attempt to initiate conjugal relations with a female member of your own species door to door religion will incessantly pound on your door until you answer .
Your bowels will plug up for an indeterminate period of time .

Other than that it shouldn't be a problem ."

Back