Going without base gasket

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience going without a base gasket? Was talking with Michael at 650central and he suggested I try running without a base gasket and using that threebond metal to metal bonding agent. Then running the athena thicker head gasket.

Anybody tried this. I've known guys doing this on other bikes before and had success but haven't tried it on an xs650.

Mrriggs, could you supply some info on how you apply the Loctite 510? Do you apply a small, continuous bead or brush it out over the entire sealing surface?

I use a small bead, favoring the outer edge. Like any other gasket goop you don't want it squeezing out inside the motor.

A brush would work well. The nice thing about Loctite 510 is that it won't cure until the parts are assembled. That is especially helpful when assembling cases where you have a lot of edges to goop up. You can put a real thin layer on there and take your time getting the assembly together.

Michael at 650 central suggested putting a thin layer (say a 16th or 32nd) of the 3 bond on and then smoothing it out with your finger. Cheat it to the outside a bit so it doesn't ooze into the motor. I can always clean up the outside.

The loctite 510 sounds handy as well. I might have to see where I can find it and how much it is.

Just Google it, but you're going to find it's pretty expensive.

Motoseal 1 gives a long working time and is cheap. Similar temp range to 510, a bit higher than TB 1194.

The Athena head gasket is a little thicker than the original. This would be a way to offset that and regain the little bit of lost compression and power.

I ran my engine without a base gasket and removed the large o rings at the base of the cylinders for quite a while. Just like mriggs said, thin layer of sealant between the cylinders and cases. Didn't have a problem with weapage.

I don't have any weeping with my base gasket but the lock tight 510 sounds interesting. Are you using the 510 on the cases also. I like the extended work time. I always worry about the time it take's to get the sealer on the cases and to button them up.

Back