"golden" wheels

Corndog

Kick it over!
Reaction score
I've read on here something about "golden" wheels, meaning really sought after wheels. What wheels would that be? How do you tell if you have them or lower quality wheels? Finally, what makes them so "golden"?

The only really rare wheels are;
Bright shiny ones with gleaming spokes and rims polished to a mirror finish from ANY year model.....
Then it's the "star mags" sold as Yamaha Accessories. They were third party vendor items and a rear machined to fit the XS with all the brake bits is quite hard to find. I may be AM biased but like to build wheels that look like the stockers but have wider rims.
20160407_183327.jpg

Bright shiny ones with gleaming spokes and rims polished to a mirror finish from ANY year model.....
BWHAHAHA sooo true.
As far as came from the factory rare, that would probably be the one year only U shaped aluminum alloys from '79?

In the thread where 5Twins commented on the rims being gold refered to the availability and the price of the wheels from 74-79 standards........Also could have been referring to the 79SII rims, (that are the same profile and size as your 80GSII Chrome 16" rear and 19" front rims), these are alloy.

I think the "Golden Wheels" are the aluminum rimmed, spoked wheels. The ones that you can take a file to, then 100 grit sandpaper and more, course polish and fine polish. You can change the spokes for prettier ones or just brush on some Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer and metallic paint. When you're done, in a week or two, per wheel, they look almost as good as new chrome wheels. Thing is, you can't do that with old rusty chrome wheels.

Scott

Edit....Ah, I forgot the paint stripper. ( insert having fun, this is a good thread emoticon here)

Last edited:
007.JPG
I haven't started the hub yet, and I'll do it with the spokes. No speedometer drive cover, that was rusty chrome, 6 stainless button heads instead thanks to gggGary. I hate this camera. These spokes are getting paint. The rear wheel will get new spokes, they're in real bad shape.
006.JPG

I've seen a new XS1 front wheel on eBay, for up to $1000.
XS1B-FrontWheel-Hub.jpg

Thought that was rather steep, until I did a search on "Yamaha wheels", and found multitudes of these:
MT09-Wheel.jpg

Yes, I was referring to the flanged alloy wheels like in MTW's post #14. They are a very classic style rim and lots of people want them, even for use on other bikes. This is making them ridiculously expensive now.

Back