Gonna build a Brat...need some help!!

shreveport1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm scrapping my chopper build and I'm going to modify my original frame to the Japanese brat style.... I need some original foot peg's and rear brake lever...I would also like to put a permanent magnet set up on the engine also so I can ditch the battery....I have a sportster tank and some wheels i will trade for these pieces or I will buy them...(but I'd rather trade parts) keeps the ole lady off my back!! :D here's my frame I'm working with anybody got idea's on how to make it look cool?? I'm thinking I'll cut it loose right in front of the shock towers bend the seat supports down a couple of inches and re-weld them there...

Attachments

• 100_5186.jpg
    100_5186.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_5184.jpg
    100_5184.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_5182.jpg
    100_5182.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 350
Well I would like to see a streched out brat, I have been toying with this Idea for my other build. Should be fairly easy just add about 4" to the swing arm and lower the shocks. Never seen it done.

Well I would like to see a streched out brat, I have been toying with this Idea for my other build. Should be fairly easy just add about 4" to the swing arm and lower the shocks. Never seen it done.

Funny you say that.. That's exactly what I've done to my project. If I were to it again, I'd probably use 3 inches on the swingarm instead of 4. There a plenty of xs650s floating around with extended swingarms. Wise guys customs extends them and add a brace to the bottom. I'll look for a picture.

I take that back..... Mine probably wouldn't be styled after bratstyle since my fender is mounted to the swingarm and I have a solo seat. So I guess you're right, I've never seen a bratstyle looking bike with an extended swingarm either, probably because everyone who extends their swingarms are putting the fender on the swinger.

I followed your link Travis you got some more pic's of that silver bike I want my seat rails like that.. :thumbsup: i don't want to strecth the swingarm ...good idea though Melloyello.. :thumbsup: :D

Shreveport,

Yeah I agree, you can't really say you were going for the bratstyle look when you have a stretched swingarm. :twocents:

I'll try to get some more pictures up later tonight.

Yeah I agree, you can't really say you were going for the bratstyle look when you have a stretched swingarm. :twocents:

I'll try to get some more pictures up later tonight.
Cool !! i've got a plan now i'm thinkin i will do the lowered seat rail with that sweet little curve there at the rear where they connect to the shock support attach a chrome fender to the swinger,use my springer seat wrapped in brown leather,minus the springs,and paint the frame, tank ,front shock lowers,and repaint the rims to match (because they are allready red) all in a Ferrari Red!! :rock: :D oh yeah and polish the ever living crap out of everything that will shine... LOL

Sounds like a plan... if you want to stick with the bratstyle look you could keep the fender mounted to the frame and use shorter shocks that only have about 2 inches of travel instead of mounting it to the swing arm. just a thought :shrug:

Ok, so here are those pictures... This was the second time doing the seat rails and I'm still not totally happy with it.

In this shot you can get a better look at how I did the battery box and fender struts so the fender can move back and forth.

seatrailscut.jpg

Where the rear tank mount will be, the seat rails widen so they match the rear of the tank. If I were using a different tank, the seat rails would come together and go straight to the backbone.

seatrails.jpg

Excuse the wiring mess, still have to get to that.

finalseat.jpg

No that won't work.. I think you're thinking that thing is bigger than it really is. It only wieghs 2.6lbs. I think it's meant for bending wiring conduit.

There is a difference between a tube bender and a pipe bender. Even the heavy duty pipe benders at harbor freight are not exactly what you want because the dies are for pipe which is measured by the inside diameter. Pipe is meant for carrying fluids, tube is mean for structural things and is measured by outside diameter. A tube bender can be pretty expensive. You could build a tube bender, or buy one but they are pretty damn expensive. If it's just for the seat rails, you could probably get away with the hydraulic pipe bender from harbor freight. If you have 1"tubing, you could use the ¾"pipe die. Or you could do what I did and put the tubing in a strong vise, use a torch to heat about 3-4 inches of tube until it is red hot then bend by hand. That's probably no better of a bend than using the pipe bender but I'm not too worried since it's just the seat rails.

No that won't work.. I think you're thinking that thing is bigger than it really is. It only wieghs 2.6lbs. I think it's meant for bending wiring conduit.

I have a buddie that owns a muffler shop...think i'll bring a case a beer and my frame with me with the seat rails cut loose bend em and weld them up there...dang them pipe bender's are expensive!! Thankyou Travis!! :thumbsup: :D

Last edited:
Got another idea!!! i have a set of gs750 shocks...i'm going to cut the springs shorter and see how they look..that would give me the seat rail angle without cutting the frame!!

Might as well give it a shot if you don't care about the GS springs, if anything just to learn a little about suspension dynamics. It might look ok when just sitting there, but I don't think it will function correctly on the road. Depending how much you cut, you might have problems with bottoming out the rear suspension since the shocks will have less travel and the springs will still have same spring rate as they did before with full travel. Also, if you cut the springs too much and have no pre-load, if you hit a pot hole or something to make the swingarm drop, your shocks will still extend (top out) and the spring will just flop around. Unless you use some kind of limiter strap or something, then you’ll still have the bottoming out problem. In the end, you’ll probably have to find some shorter rear shocks that also have less travel that way the spring rates will be high enough so you don’t bottom out. I'm kind of hoping you try it anyway so we can find out what happens and all learn from it, and to see if my theories are right!

:D You are completly correct about everything you said.I cut up one of the old shocks and it looks like it will give me the angle I want,but they are useless as shocks this way....now I've got to find some short shocks!! :thumbsup: :D

Attachments

• shocks 007.jpg
    shocks 007.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 298
  • shocks 020.jpg
    shocks 020.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 347
  • shocks 008.jpg
    shocks 008.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 321
HAha!! nice... I can't believe you did it so fast! I was thinking you'd get to this in a few days not a few hours. Cool to get results so fast.

Well you could cut the other one too just for mock up until you buy new ones. I don't remember what the stock eye to eye length on the shocks are but I think it's about 12 3/4" and I think they have about 3 inches of travel. If you want to lower the bike say 2 inches, get some shocks that are a little less than 2 inches shorter and have less travel than 3 inches so the fender doesn't hit the tire. You’d have to do some geometry or trigonometry to calculate the exact numbers for the new shocks, but you’re on your own for that. Trial and error with different shocks would work too, but can get expensive.

LOL....I have my lap top in the shop with me allway's...i'm kinda A.D.D. and allway's need to be fooling with something or entertaining myself with some kind of gadget! :laugh: I've been looking for some compatible shock's,i even looked at the ones on my daughters electic scooter!! LOL

Back