Good place to get JIS drivers

pumps

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
As I am doing some electrical tinkering I realize I need the right tools for the job. Otherwise every JIS (japanese industrial standard) type screw I try to remove with an incorrect US philips screwdriver will be too boogered up to reinstall. So who has a set of JIS screwdrivers they like and where did you get them? I don't see that Mikes XS carrys them. :banghead:

Hi Pumps.....I've been very pleased with the JIS bits and Vessel screw drivers I got from
the following supplier.

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm

I especially like the JIS driver bits as I can put so many ratchets and drivers on them.
The end of the scurulous cam out and a godsend to these arthritic old hands. AAA+++ on the driver bits and the only place I've found them.

Check out the "Screw Checker" bolt & thread sizing guides too...super! Blue

Last edited:
Which do you have? The #8999 4 Piece LONG 1/4" Hex Drive DIN 5260 (JIS-Type) Phillips Bit Set - #2, #1, #0 & #00??

Yes, Pumps and they're super! I really like the long shank feature because it distinquishes them from the 100's of other Phillips bits I have. Last Christmas I bought 10 sets and enclosed them with Christmas cards to special RC airplane gas modelist friends and a few favor pay backs. They're very high quality tools and you won't believe the difference they make. I also bought the Vessel JIS screwdriver set and a #3 & #4 separately as I recall. They're excellent!

A number of other things from Ross (the owner) as well. All excellent fit & quality btw.
What he carries is select in my opinion.....Blue

Last edited:
McMaster Carr has a nice set of American made regular J.I.S. screwdrivers, about $14 for a set of 4, every Jap bike owner should have them. I realize this is just a pipe dream but, hey, at least I have a dream, lol. It's too late for most of the screws on most of these bikes. Thumbs up to you Pumps for even noticing they're different. Most just grab the hammer, chisel, and vise grips, lol.

5twins, I've noticed but not had TOO much difficulty until today as I am chasing some starter wiring issues and as I take things apart I know Craftsman philips screwdrivers are the wrong thing. I've taken to replacing a few with allen head screws. But I KNOW the right tool for the job is the way to go. :banghead: As far as I could see there was no mention in the Tech/tools section of JIS screws.

What you really want are T handled Phillips screwdrivers. I swear, I won't use anything else anymore. They don't specifically state that they're the J.I.S. type but they work better than any regular screwdriver I ever used. Motion Pro makes them, here's only one place to get them, they're available pretty much everywhere in the motorcycle market .....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ion-Pro-T-Handle-Philips-Screwdriver-Set.aspx

Any of your local shops can order them if they don't already have them hanging on the rack. Besides the hand held Vessel impact I bought some 40 years ago, this is probably the best motorcycle specific tool I ever got.

Back