Good places to buy refurbished engines?

xHolepunchx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any users know where I can core swap and or buy outright a refurbished xs650 motor? Im on my second bike this season, I'm no novice to engines and how they work, but it seems I'm having the most rotten luck with these breaking down on me almost immediately after I buy them. People treat these bikes like shit apparently. Id love to have a KNOWN GOOD engine as a starting platform so I can enjoy riding and save the tinkering for the fall/winter months. I know of Thomas' Racing and xs650.biz, but Thomas' is out of my price range (while a very nice product) and 650.biz is over seas and I live in Ohio USA. Thanks for the input everyone!

Understand your situation as I have been there before myself. I know of another place who may build engines is Hoos Racing. Its on the web. I think maybe in Iowa. I find thats the usual answer I got as well---Why not build it yourself. I do like the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself and I know for sure what went in the engine. Really, if what Thomas says goes in the engine is in there its not a bad price. For the price shop rates are these days, having a hobby such as this is hard to have for a guy on a budget. I have been quoted $80 an hour here in Phoenix. That can add up quick let alone the price for parts. You would think it would be a little lower in this economy. On the other hand I see people leaving Phoenix to get out of town to cool off on the weekend up in Flagstaff pulling toy haulers with 40 thousand dollar pickups complete with toy haulers and 3 or 4 quads. People just seem to have money to spend on their toys.
jtc

Buy a running bike. Use the engine, part the rest. Seriously it's the only way to know what you got. Might want to search Thomas Racing on this site before you spend. Personally I would not mess with a bottom end. There are plenty of < 25,000 mile bikes out there that just need a top freshened up that any engine shop can do.

Well as it stands, I bought a 82 with only 5700 miles on it... But from the third owner and it had sat for a very long time. I tried to rehab it, it was in great shape already cosmeticly, so I cleaned the carbs, made adjustments, new oil etc and a valve froze and broke apart inside. I bought an 80 with 19000 on it in good running shape, cleaned it up, and rode it for the past month and there's now a hard knock in one cylinder. I can't seem to get a winning engine. I'm pry just gonna rebuld both engines this winter, but I'd like to ride something reliable now w/o hunting yet another bike. A local boneyrd said they can locate clean low mileage runners for $600 shipped in, which sounds reasonble for a solid clean motor, but I question relability anymore.

Yeah summer is short. But it does sound like between the two you have there should be one good one. Top end from the rod knock, with bottom end from the busted valve, with a normal "top" parts list, gaskets, seals maybe rings.

Yeah summer is short. But it does sound like between the two you have there should be one good one. Top end from the rod knock, with bottom end from the busted valve, with a normal "top" parts list, gaskets, seals maybe rings.

What about Hoos Racing? Iowa I believe. I see very little feedback or comments of any kind about them. I have heard they do engine builds too.
Jeffery

I have not done business with Hoos but did exchange emails about a pipe once. He got back in a timely fashion and seemed knowledgeable.

Back