What did I buy? Shell Road Racer

Hamburger

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a while already but now it was really time to sign up and ask you guys for information about my latest acquisition.
I've had my first XS650 some 25 years ago, foolishly sold it and fettled 2-stroke Yamahas in the meantime. I thought it would be nice to have another XS and imported a standard one from the US, as most of the early ones in Germany seem to be chopped up or modified.
But then I figured out it would be even nicer to have one with a lighter frame, (maybe to do some vintage road racing again) but as you will know, aftermarket frames for an XS650 are quite rare. In Germany Manfred Rau made two spine frame bikes in the 70ies and they did not even surface again yet.
So I turned to the more common (in the US that is) flat track frames and as a friend had been racing an XS in the 90ies and was in touch with Shell Thuet for some performance parts back then I concentrated on his frame kits and wondered if they'd be working as a road going bike.

Then a bike described as "Shell Road Racer" turned up in Denmark being offerd for sale with the following story:
The bike was built for someone in the US by Shell Thuet in the 80ies being one of two so called road racers built by him. The bike is said to have been entered in some racing events (what class?), proved unsuccesfull and was then outfitted as a road bike featuring a standard engine, the racing engine being set aside on a round blue painted engine stand. The son of the owner sold it off to Denmark where I bought it from.

Closer inspection revealed that it looks like we have a slightly modified Shell dirt track frame including a EPM/Magni rear wheel with the typical Grimeca rear brake assembly that you find on some of the Shell dirt trackers. Front end looks like 80ies Kawasaki to me with the front wheel consisting of the typical Kawasaki-inner welded to a Sun-USA outer rim. Strange brew!
Front brake were 4-pot Lockheeds.
Body parts (unsure about fairing) are made to measure by First Klass Glass who are known for their dirt track glass parts.
The racing engine is stamped a low 447-number but seems to feature an older head with four 3-bolt valve covers reading YH 38 inside. Rockers have been ground blade-like to save weight, the blueish valve springs look like Kibblewhites to me showing alloy retainers too. Valves are standard size, head looks ported.
The barrels have 743cc imprinted and are 80mm bore with matching Shell pistons. Crank has 140mm Shell rods. Some race igintion sits on the left side of the crank.
Carbs are missing, exhaust is a custom made 2-into-1-system featuring ca 3"long inner sleeves in the headers.
It's obvious that the racing engine has not been running much.

I'll be in the workshop again today so can shoot some more/better pics if requested.

So what did I buy? Does anyone of you recognize that bike? What about the story of Shells effort in building road racers?

Cheers from Hamburg/Germany,

Nils

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_2597.JPG
    IMG_2597.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
WOW Hamburger - that is a rare bird I'd say!

Congratulations on that purchase.

Pete

Here come some pictures of the bike without bodywork.

Does anyone know what brand the piggyback shocks are?

The frame is painted silver including the bolt on extensions to hold the fairing. That makes me think the bike was indeed originally outfitted with a fairing thus meant to be ridden on tarmac.
Swingarm and bolt on frame tail loop are nickel plated.

I could not find a frame number so far.
Did the Shell frames come with any numbers at all?
My bike was evidently ridden on the road for some time as it shows stuck on speed markings on the tach. The rear tyre is worn but only in the middle so it was going straight lines most of the time, so these tyres have not been road raced. But it came without any title or documentation.
Has anyone else ever had a Shell frame road registered? Would be nice to have a copy of the title. That would possibly enable me to get the bike on the road over here.

I'm grateful for any info!

Nils

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
front wheel and fork might be '83-'85 GPz Kawi. rear wheel might be post '79 Kawi. Headlight H-D FX/Sportster. Nice find!

Thanks for the hint towards the Harley headlight, Azman! I wouldn't have recognized that.

Front forks are indeed 37mm Kawasaki. Front wheel modified Kawasaki (wider rim welded in). Rear wheel is italian EPM/Magni. They came in magnesium and aluminum, the one fitted to this bike luckily being the latter. The company seems to be still in business and makes these wheels. Turnes out to be difficult to find a used matching 18" EPM-front wheel in aluminum, even here in Europe. So if anyone has one for sale, let me know please!

Hoosracing had a shell#3 cam for sale a little while ago on eBay, I asked him about It, he said they used it for mile flattrack racing what the difference needed is I have no idea, I know from the spec it's high lift long duration.

Thank you for this interesting hint, Twomany!

Here come some pictures of all the numbers I found on the engine.

The engine serial number is 447-001754, so doesn't fit that range but features already the 2500cc Oil casting so should be of younger origin.
Whereas on the upper part of the engine you find loads of hand-stamped numbers and letters and so on, some of them quite hard to decypher. I can't tell if these are regular Yamaha stampings or rather unusual. Does anyone recall these stampings?

I don't even have another cylinder at hand right now to compare the thickness of the cylinder-liners to find out if they were resleeved. To me the liners look quite meaty for an 80mm bore. What do you think?

If the engine builder had access to one of the earlier top-ends it surely would have made sense to mate them to the later bottom end using the Shell crank, rods and pistons.
All four valve covers are of the 3-screw-kind which makes at least the head an earlyer item.

Nils

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 240
...I don't even have another cylinder at hand right now to compare the thickness of the cylinder-liners to find out if they were resleeved. To me the liners look quite meaty for an 80mm bore. What do you think?

All four valve covers are of the 3-screw-kind which makes at least the head an earlyer item.

Having (4) 3-stud valve covers makes the head of the '70 XS1 or '71 XS1B/F. Very early '70 XS1 heads have plastic buttons fitted between the fins, for sound deadening.

Dug out and measured my old OEM factory sleeves for the 750 kit. The OD of these thin sleeves is 85.6mm (3.370"). The protruding bottoms of these sleeves have a slightly smaller OD. You'd need to closely examine and try to measure your sleeves at the cylinder base, or try to measure the hole size of the cylinder block where the sleeve emerges...

I can't offer any info, but will say thats a pretty cool find. I do have this question. Wouldn't the mirror be more usefull if it was turned around? Sorry, J/K I couldn't resist.

@racerdave: It's a RACE-mirror for racing! These mirrors are always fitted like that. Have a look at the Moto GP bikes. You should know, being RACERdave! :D Quite expensive, but absolutely necessary when your leading a race and you want to keep an eye on the bikes behind you. Note that everything in the mirror is upside down when fitted that way, but you'll get used to that immediately.

@twomanyXS: Didn't find any time to go to the workshop and measure the sleeves yet but will do soon. Many thanks for checking your cylinders as a reference!

@racerdave: It's a RACE-mirror for racing! These mirrors are always fitted like that. Have a look at the Moto GP bikes. You should know, being RACERdave! :D Quite expensive, but absolutely necessary when your leading a race and you want to keep an eye on the bikes behind you. Note that everything in the mirror is upside down when fitted that way, but you'll get used to that immediately.

@twomanyXS: Didn't find any time to go to the workshop and measure the sleeves yet but will do soon. Many thanks for checking your cylinders as a reference!
AAAHHH, Seeing as to how it is facing I thought it was for signalling aeroplanes;)

Having (4) 3-stud valve covers makes the head of the '70 XS1 or '71 XS1B/F. Very early '70 XS1 heads have plastic buttons fitted between the fins, for sound deadening.

Dug out and measured my old OEM factory sleeves for the 750 kit. The OD of these thin sleeves is 85.6mm (3.370"). The protruding bottoms of these sleeves have a slightly smaller OD. You'd need to closely examine and try to measure your sleeves at the cylinder base, or try to measure the hole size of the cylinder block where the sleeve emerges...
I measured the protruding bottoms directly at the cylinder base and they appear to be around 85mm. So it seems it might be one of these cylinders.

Scroll down to Post #13. There is an email address from a Guy who has owned an original 72 GS650, ( Factory 650 with Factory 750 sleeves installed ), these bikes had 653cc ground of and 743 stamped in lace as per your Barrels. This guy has talked to Yamaha and verified the bike so may know something about yours.

Maybe the barrels have been taken from a GS650.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/1972-yamaha-gs650-xs650-w-factory-750cc-engine.19241/

Back