Good Price on 1980 XS850?

I've had my 850xs for many years and love it. The motor is amazing if it's tuned correctly and has tons of bottom end torque and yet great top end power as well. Do I like it as much as my xs650----no but they are two different bikes. 850 is more of a touring style and also very comfy with a passenger. If it's real clean---$1500 is fair -- if not--$1200 is norm with that mileage. A good website for this bike is (yamaha-triples.com) and should answer any questions you may have

I love the noise a triple makes! I have an XS Eleven (4 cyl). I love it! I shares appearance with my XS650. It stops there. The bikes are nothing alike. There's room in the garage for both!

Seller has thus far received zippo interest from anybody else, so I feel that I can bide my time. If he's willing to take $1K, I will do that. If not, that's fine, I've just got so much work to do on my top-end rebuild on my 76C, more parts to order and little time.

The XS850 would have to be "ready to ride" since I don't need or want another project - just a bike to ride on a daily basis while the weather is good.

I did learn from Yamaha that the 1980 is a XS850SG, not sure exactly what the SG means yet. Something to do with rear fender and perhaps side covers (being different than a G, an LG being a black engine Midnight Special).

Thanks for all of the replies!

If I buy (pretty iffy at this point), I will definitely be joining the other forum to learn about Triples.

XS850SG. S=Special. G=1980. An XS850G would be a standard. It's the same for all of the XS series bikes.

Posted via Mobile

Special also has front axle mounted on front of forks instead of on the bottom like 650

The XS650 is the only one where the Specials and standards are pretty much the same. In the bigger bikes, the differences are much more drastic. Converting one to the other offers a much bigger challenge than with the 650.

With respect to the carburetor issue (Subject XS850 apparently has XS750 Mikuni's instead of stock Hitachis), do you see any downsides (performance issues) to that?

Earlier post had mentioned fussiness of working on/syncing Hitachi carbs.

With respect to the carburetor issue (Subject XS850 apparently has XS750 Mikuni's instead of stock Hitachis), do you see any downsides (performance issues) to that?

Earlier post had mentioned fussiness of working on/syncing Hitachi carbs.

If I were interested in the bike, I believe I'd sign on to the Triples forum and start asking questions of the folks that know. The only down side I've ever heard about Hitachi carburetors is the difficulty obtaining parts.

Back