Wanted - Good running motor located in the midwest

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Are there any spare motors in good condition in the midwest, say an hour or so each direction from St. Louis that's gathering dust in someone's garage? If I can get by a while longer on a spare motor until I can afford to rebuild mine, I'd love to go the swap route.

I'm looking for any help that I can get. I think she's limping on her last leg.

There was a guy recently here who had one. He said he picked it up as a spare out of a wrecked bike. I don't see his ad on craigslist anymore, but if you want, I'll email him and ask him if he still has it. He wanted $100 for it. If you want it I can pick it up for you if you pay shipping.

I'll send him an email and let you know when I hear back from him. It's located in Traverse City, MI. Northern part of the state.

I called a guy that has a spare motor this morning. The motor is out of an '80 or so bike and he said he has the head pulled off to replace gaskets and rings but never got around to finishing it due to buying another bike. The rest of the motor appears to be in excellent shape. He's willing to sell it to me for $100. I'm going to go look at it tonight. If it's in decent shape and only needs about $100 or so in parts to get it running, I may go for it.

Is it a big deal to put a newer motor in my '78? I understand that this one will have electronic ignition versus my points model? Any suggestions on which ignition route I should go? I goal here is to use what I have to make the project affordable. I plan on a Pamco later on when I have more funds.

Back