good shocks? 175# rider

What bike are you putting shocks on ? They make Progressive 412s for the Yamaha XS650 , if you buy those ones for a sportster, they are made for a heavier bike, the bushings are the wrong size and 13.5 inch may be too long for your bike . The price is ok, but you might find the right shocks for close to the same price .

And, I am not sure what you mean by #175. Is that what you weigh or the bike you are buying shocks for or what ?

I agree with Royboy. For around the same money MMM can build you something matched to your weight. I just got a set of the 12 series from him. I'm pretty skinny and he was able to help my jockey-ass out. Again, call don't email.

That's the advice I always give 'em, Roy--call 650 Central and talk to an honest man who knows what he's doing.

Justin, you don't need to worry about eyelet ID with Progressive (or most other aftermarket) shocks; eyelet diameter is universal, and the shocks are delivered with spacers that sleeve down the eyelets for particular applications. But eye-to-eye length is a critical matter. Lifting the rear will quicken steering, dropping the rear will result in slower handling.

As to selection, you might consider Progressive's Series 14 oil damped shocks. They stand up just fine in vintage racing, and they're far superior to original equipment. The Series 12 gassers are nice but they're a bit on the fat side, and you'll have to remove or modify the chain guard to fit them.

Hey Justin B, I have those exact shocks (chrome) on my '75 standard because I got a great deal on them, $125.00 CDN, like new and they really improved things. However, it is my intention to do exactly what Royboy and grizld1 are suggesting you do. It will be better. As mentioned these shocks are large in diameter and there is a chain guard issue to address and they look a little big for the bike.
Yamimoto

Back