Got a free xs2 today

up through 75 no, they are not linked and will directly replace 72 carbs, just giving you a range of years if you need to track down a different set.. What's on there now is 76 up linked carbs. You also need intakes to match 70-75 carbs, the 76-79 intake rubbers have a different bend.

Congrats, DC, looks like you have a good goal--as close to original as practical, but not an AR restoration.

As Gary says, you'll get the best overall performance with the OE air box in place. Vacuum carbs use the difference between low pressure above the slide diaphragm and atmospheric pressure below the diaphragm to lift the slides. The still air box is there to keep the pressure difference stable, and also to keep the filter elements dry (if you've never tried to ride with waterlogged Uni filters you just don't know what fun is, and fabric filters like K&Ns are almost as bad unless rain covers are used). I get plenty of well informed disagreement on this, but IMO pods are for carbs with mechanically lifted slides. .

up through 75 no, they are not linked and will directly replace 72 carbs, just giving you a range of years if you need to track down a different set.. What's on there now is 76 up linked carbs. You also need intakes to match 70-75 carbs, the 76-79 intake rubbers have a different bend.

Clarification................

I thought the early 70-73 carb holders were different for the BS38's and the change to the carb holders was in 74, although the linked carbs were first introduced in 76. The change was due to the frame and airbox change

If the74-79 standards have the same air-boxes then the carb holders have to be the same from 74-79.

Yes/No............................

Clarification................

I thought the early 70-73 carb holders were different for the BS38's and the change to the carb holders was in 74, although the linked carbs were first introduced in 76. The change was due to the frame and airbox change

If the74-79 standards have the same air-boxes then the carb holders have to be the same from 74-79.

Yes/No............................

I stand corrected; the carbs interchange as a set 70 to 75 (use the carb body year for any jet replacement, jets/brass changed nearly yearly, But Skull is right the intakes change between 73 and 74 you need to use 73 down intakes to use early air filters and sidecovers. It does get complicated once you start swapping parts, the battery box got bigger in 72 for the e-start so there is some difference in at least the filter mounts between 70-71 and 72-73 :rolleyes:

BB2F501D-D51E-4FBD-B68E-B5E4BE2617CA.jpeg
8EBCFB9C-D5F4-49D1-8097-A7DCCB76B342.jpeg
03698A9D-AFE3-456E-9220-CA08A8A0A4C5.jpeg
960D314B-FBBE-438D-930B-B24DE6FB3FE5.jpeg
E49EFFA5-3F35-49BA-BC22-58AF341CAF18.jpeg
E45A6473-B69F-413E-A427-EBF924DC370D.jpeg
2D58FD43-99F0-4B34-A9D8-32B182F75AB7.jpeg

Well the bike finally showed up. It’s condition is about what I was expecting so I’m happy with that. The tank unfortunately doesn’t have the original paint under the black spray job, it does have it in the tunnel (which obviously doesn’t help much) it came with a bunch of different seats and pans and I think the one that is the correct one is so rusted and broken I don’t think it’s worth trying to save, so I will probably be watching eBay for a decent used one. The side covers (not pictured) are also sprayed black but at least have the chrome trim with them (which was thankfully removed before the rattle can job) the tank and side covers are missing the emblems so I will probably get some from mikes unless I can find some originals. I think it has the wrong front wheel, which doesn’t concern me too much as I’m not going to do a full resto (at least not anytime in the near future). If anyone notices anything major in the pics that isn’t correct to the bike please let me know as this is my first xs2. Does anyone know where I could source the decompression lever assembly? This one is missing. And the correct knob on the upper tree for the neck bearing adjustment? I looked on mikes and didn’t see anything. All in all it’s far from perfect but having gotten it for free I’m happy with the current condition and hopefully will have it rideable soon. Let me know what you guys think, or any parts suggestions etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the front wheel appears to be off a '79 Special II. That was the only year with a non-flanged alloy rim. The bolt-on disc is another later wheel indicator, but that rim really nails down the year exactly. It also looks like a later set of linked carbs have been fitted. That's not a bad thing, they're better.

Ya the disc is what tipped me off, I wasn’t sure what the wheel was supposed to look like. I will probably keep the existing carbs on it and see if I can manage to get the side covers to fit with them. Upon further inspection it appears the switch housings are wrong too as there is no mount for the compression release lever so I will need to track that down as well. I will probably start by mounting the fenders up and make sure I have all the correct stuff for that and hook up all the wiring and try to get it running

They are continentals, not sure if that is what was original on them. If those are the right gauges it wouldn’t surprise me with only 6k.
Can someone confirm if those are the correct gauges?

As far as I know. I am not aware of them having different clutch covers but like I said this is my first xs2 so there is a lot for me to learn, the earliest one I have owned before this was a 77

jussomeguy, those are off XS1/XS1B's, they changed on the 72XS2

Good score on the XS2 and the PO has done a decent upgrade putting a later 73-75 front forks on it, looks original to someone who doesn't know. I agree with 5T that front hub and rim look to be off the 79SII

Back