Got my Mile Pipes today

Vincenthdfan

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Got my Omars Mile Pipes and Optimizers today, purchased from and shipped by member @forafriend Very nice packaging job.

Man, these things are beefy!

Anyone ever use these optimizers, are they a gimmick, or do they really make a difference (both the ones at the head and the ones downstream at the cones)?

1680650937558.png
1680650991195.png

Anyone ever use these optimizers
I have some. Miichael "Mercury" Morse at 650 Central has been selling these for years. I bought big pipes for one of my projects. They look cool but they're too big for the bike. Optimzers fool it to behave like 1 3/8 pipe in my case. I also got the torque inserts for the head. Bad ass!!
1680657799264.png

Back in the day, on the Micapeak email group, these gadgets were discussed at length. Take the stock pipes off and install 1 3/4 pipe the engine will fall on its face unless you can turn it at 10,000 rpm or something like that. These tools bring back street performance. I seem to remember someone riding the bike, installing the optimers and going again. I remember he couldn't say enough about them. MMM has them in various sizes, depending upon your needs.

Last edited:
:twocents: there are port optimisers and there are knock off port optimisers Take a look at the blend/ angle on the engine side. Some are smooth look like they will flow well, others not so much.
I've got a set in madness with 1 3/4" pipes don't have a strong opinion on their effectiveness. I thought the Commando style baffled mufflers were prolly the biggest change getting it away from a rather abrupt high RPM power band. :shrug:
But my changes weren't super well documented or orderly.

:twocents: there are port optimisers and there are knock off port optimisers Take a look at the blend/ angle on the engine side. Some are smooth look like they will flow well, others not so much.
I've got a set in madness with 1 3/4" pipes don't have a strong opinion on their effectiveness. I thought the Commando style baffled mufflers were prolly the biggest change getting it away from a rather abrupt high RPM power band. :shrug:
But my changes weren't super well documented or orderly.
Well, I got the Omars ones that go in the ports and the tapered inserts that go in the downstream portion of the pipe, so I guess we'll find out. ;)

I have some. Miichael "Mercury" Morse at 650 Central has been selling these for years. I bought big pipes for one of my projects. They look cool but they're too big for the bike. Optimzers fool it to behave like 1 3/8 pipe in my case. I also got the torque inserts for the head. Bad ass!!
View attachment 239780

Back in the day, on the Micapeak email group, these gadgets were discussed at length. Take the stock pipes off and install 1 3/4 pipe the engine will fall on its face unless you can turn it at 10,000 rpm or something like that. These tools bring back street performance. I seem to remember someone riding the bike, installing the optimers and going again. I remember he couldn't say enough about them. MMM has them in various sizes, depending upon your needs.
Do you refer to 1 3/8" (35 mm) ID or OD? I guess aftermarket pipes mostly come in 1 1/2" (38 mm), 1 5/8" (41 mm) and 1 3/4" (44.5 mm) outside diameters, with around 1/16" (1.6 mm) wall thickness, resulting in 35/38/42 mm. ID.
Now, the big question is if inserts can make, say a 1 3/4" set of pipes work the same as a set of 1 1/2". pipes, when it comes to bottom end/ midrange pull? Or maybe stepped or even tapered headers would be the optimal solution? For example starting with 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" OD, and ending with 1 3/4" at the muffler end?

Back