got some new tools!!

HooliganCycles

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty stoked, I was telling my uncle this weekend that I had just bought a small plannishing hammer to play with and he told me if I would come pick them up at his shop that I could have his English wheel, sheet metal break, shrinker, stretcher and bead roller. Got them all home today now I just gotta get good at using all of them. Time to ruin some sheet metal I guess

wow. good deal.
start with something easy like a seat pan, or something you can cover or hide. Then work your way to a chromed fender!!

Actually the main reason I got this stuff was because I couldn't find a fender that fit my bike how I want it to, so that's what I really want to make when I get the hang of it, so when that time comes I will gladly make anyone on here something if they want it

So jealous!

Hi westonboege,
no you ain't jealous at all although you may well be envious; me too!
And FWIW, making an English Wheel do what you need it to is not as easy as it looks.
I remember watching a sheetmetal worker form up a panel on the wheel back when I was an apprentice.
My journeyman said "I wish I could do that"; this from a man with 25 years experience in the trade.
My advice to Hooligan:- "Don't get your thumbs under there!"
Coincidentally, our motorcycle club will be getting a tour around the local polytechnic's sheetmetal shop.
I'm gonna take a crumpled fender along to see what their wheel can do to save it.

For sheet metal for practice, I always thought picking up used appliances, like washers, driers, and such. Might not work for real stuff but can be got for free. Just cruise the streets and look for them.
Leo

Back