Gotta get yer priorities straight!

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Grandson in NC is house-hunting to move back here to Maine. I've looked at several he picked out, all unsuitable for one reason or another.

Looked at one today. House will do, but look what I found in the garage:

engine.jpg

Looks like a 4.0 out of a Jeep. And...AND!!!!

choist.jpg

There's a big ol' honking steel H beam across the center of the garage with this hoist trolley on it!!!

I want to move in right now. Also insulated and a big wood furnace against the back wall. I'd say a middlin' sized fire in that beast would drive you plumb out of the place!

There's a big ol' honking steel H beam across the center of the garage with this hoist trolley on it!!! Also insulated and a big wood furnace against the back wall.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.... Send out the U-Hauls. ;)

Nice property and superb set up for the garage! :thumbsup: All that’s missing out there is a tractor!

Now THAT looks like a heck of a nice place DE!

Dammit, I’m comin’ over!

Pete

It ain't quite as pretty in person as the pictures would have you believe (advertising...) but it's solid, the expensive stuff (heat, electrical, plumbing, floors and walls) is done. Needs some cosmetic love and some supplementary heat upstairs. 2.5 acres pretty well groomed and landscaped, just needs touching up.

Listing for $149K, with the issues and the fact that it's been on the market for a while (and marked down twice already) hoping to get it to come in around $140K.

Metal roof. Good. Highly recommended out here.
The roof's corner gully flashing. Is the flashing running *under* the v-crimp panels, sufficient overlap? Optical illusion? Water leaks there?
View attachment 135233

yes it does look like a potential water ingress scenario ....but ....it all depends on how the junction between the 2x hips has been constructed beneath the roof cladding.
If there are valley soakers to the hip valley junctures then all will be fine

Last edited:
Doesn't look like that one is going to fly. They pretty much laughed at his offer and made a token reduction in their asking price. He likes it, but doesn't want to go that far in debt. Boy's definitely got his head screwed on straight at least on finances.

Looking at another place next week.

Doesn't look like that one is going to fly. They pretty much laughed at his offer and made a token reduction in their asking price. He likes it, but doesn't want to go that far in debt. Boy's definitely got his head screwed on straight at least on finances.

Looking at another place next week.

thats a big relief for you. its all too easy for youngsters to saddle them selves with huge debts these days and any little mishap along the way like injury or redundancy will soon bury you .
it looked like a great location but from a Surveyors eye the property looked like it hadn't seen a lot of maintenance over the years and could have cost a lot to bring back to good order

It did indeed need a lot of non-structural exterior maintenance. I still think it'd be a great property, but they'd need to come down about $10-15K and I don't see that happening.

New place lists at $120K, is larger in terms of square feet of living space. No outbuildings or garage which is a concern, but a bit over 2 acres of what appears to be mostly flat land so adding one wouldn't be a huge issue. Waiting to talk to the realtor on this end to arrange a showing. Looks like the lot was carved out of a farm, very rural but 15 minutes from a large (for Maine...) city. Waterville for those that know Maine.

Back