Grabby clutch when cold

smokenjoep01

Motorcycle Freak
Reaction score
My 1977 XS has new clutch plates (fibers & metals) and heavy clutch springs all purchased through Mikes XS. I'm no stranger to clutchs and everything looked fine upon installing. The install was straight forward with no problems. Problem is that wen the bike is first ridden the clutch is "grabby". Feels almost like the plates are getting hung up. The basket grooves looked fine. Once I have engaged/ disengaged it a few times it works flawless.
Any suggestions???

20w-50 is what most people use except possibly in the winter. Brand might matter, but mine doesn't grab with any I've used. I've used Pensoil, O'Reilly's, Shell diesel, Valvoline, and now using Valvoline 4 stroke.

How many miles since all the new parts? It may need a few miles to break in.
Sometimes small changes in the adjustment makes big differences in action.

Did you align the pressure plate properly upon reassembly? There's a dot stamped on one of the inner hub's "fingers" that needs to show through a hole in the pressure plate or else the clutch won't work right .....

PressurePlateAlignment.jpg

If it works, I bet it's all put together correctly. I would do as XSLeo suggests and just put a few miles on them. Did you soak the friction plates in oil for a while before you installed them? I'm not sure how much that matters but that's what I do.

Back