Grainy stuff coming out my tank?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Today I had just cleaned my carbs, and I had put them back on and was watching my gas line when i turned on the petcock. I noticed what little things that we're coming out, not alot, almost unnoticeable. Best way to describe it was it looked like sand. Just sank to the bottom of the fuel line.

When I fired up the bike, the left carb started flooding and I had to drain it a few times.

The tank is new, newly painted and kremed. Any idea? I'm guessing I should have rinsed it out first?

Might be the tank, might be the fuel! Remove the gas tank. Decant the fuel that's in the tank. Rinse tank with clean fuel and dispose of that too. Put a couple cups of fresh fuel from a different, trusted source, in the tank and slosh it around well. Now pour that out into a clean, clear glass container and let settle. If you smoke this wouldn't be a good time for a heater. Is the fuel in the glass container clear and clean or still showing particulates? If clear, clean your float chambers and pilot jets and put it all back together. If still cruddy start shopping for a good, rust free tank.

Obviously this project needs to be conducted outdoors well away from home, garage and loved ones.

Good luck, have fun, best wishes.:thumbsup:

roy

Update.

Washed the tank out, and man the stuff that came out looked nasty. Some odd grainy bits inside, not sure what it was. But I cleaned out the inside multiple times, to the point where the water that was coming out was clear and clean. I've laid it out to dry, now i just wait....

water?? its prolly gonna be worse, unless you came to your senses and rerinsed it out with gas as suggested right away.

Back