Greets from NZ - could use some tips

wherearewe

Rub on Ya Titties
Reaction score
Ez all.

Thought about time i introduce myself instead of lurking. All the way from NZ, I decided one day I wanted to get into an XS650!

I came across an 81SH (shit heap) that was in need of much love. Its pipes were shot, had no front brake system, tank was dented up, had no electrics. The frame was pretty good though with matching engine numbers. It kicked over pretty well for something that had been sitting for ten years, and the carbs werent totally gummed up.:thumbsup:

I am going to build a sprung bobber from this old girl, but i wanted to get it running again and rideable with all fabbing done before pulling it apart for powdercoating etc. That would give me a chance to get to know it.
I did the seat rails, mounted a solo seat, mounted a tank, installed Progressive shocks, installed a pamco and ultimate coil (PO had swapped to points so that was easy), cleaned up the carbs, installed some custom GC curved pipes, did cam chain (warm), valves (cold), changed oil and both filters twice (no metal filings so thats good), rebuilt advance, fitted new plugs, uni-pods and began generally cleaning it up.

So now its up and test running. I am simply using a battery on the floor, only whats needed to run.
She starts 1st kick which is great. However, it seems to run pretty rich. Timing wise, it sits on the right hand line of Fire at idle, advances to where its meant too. Carb wise, i set floats to 21.7mm, went up one size on pilot to 45 and 2 to 137.5 main (mikuni oem). I fitted new orings to mix screw, pilot jet plugs, gaskets, float seat & needle. Basically everything bar needle jet and slides. Slides hold up when testing and there were no holes. I bench synched carefully but have not synched on the bike.

Plugs can black up a bit just for example, just testing timing. It smells rich and puffs a little black smoke at WOT. I would have thought that 1 up pilot and two up main, with pods or even open, wouldnt have been that rich. Worn needle jets or needles maybe? The left plug does show a tiny bit of wetness after running, but im hoping that will settle if i can run it in. If not top end it is. These threads are dime a dozen in know, but i thought i might as well say hi.

Photos coming:D

GS curved pipes mounted up and cermachromed. Will have to wrap them i guess otherwise i imagine i will burn the inside of my knees... Still need to mount a rear fender and a fake oil tin for electronics & too fill that space under the seat.

welcome .... sounds like you've got it well sorted except for the rich mixture. I'd be tempted to revert to stock jets and see how it runs . Do your carbs have adjustable needles ? . Wet bores is definitely not a good recipe

It pulled the carbs off this evening actually to have another look over, see if i missed anything. It has 5Ix11 adjustable needles which i hadnt clicked too. I think Australia and NZ were shipped those as stock but dont quote me. Ive leaned them a notch. See what that does. I didnt check the needle jet to see if it was the matching 336 Y-0. Its possible a PO made a screw up of course and it has standard needle jets a adjustable needles. What would that do?

wherearewe,

Welcome to the club! I was fortunate enough to visit your beautiful country a few times back in the '80's and really enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, I did not take advantage of those trips to visit the South Island. Big regret.

You have really done a masterful job of resurrecting that bike. Glad that the hard tail bug has not made it's way to NZ yet!

I think that the change to a TCI ignition was only done here to comply with our EPA regulations. Not that it matters, but your bike was probably points from the factory. You can check to see if you have the TCI magnet on the rotor. When Yamaha switched to the TCI setup, they also went with an electronic regulator as well, so that would be your other clue.

Be sure to check your battery voltage (14.5V) at 3,000 RPM to ensure proper operation of the regulator and charging system. A low battery means a weak spark which means incomplete combustion which means black wet plugs.

I think that a suitable heat shield would look better on those pipes rather than a wrap. Also afford more protection for your leg.

Keep up the good work, and perhaps you will be nominated for Bike of the Month honors!

Have a cold Fosters for me next time you're in Wellington at the James Cook!

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think that a suitable heat shield would look better on those pipes rather than a wrap. Also afford more protection for your leg.

Cheers.

Like 'Ice cold in Alex ' eh ! :wink2:

I agree I also thought that a chromed heat shield would look good on those pipes too ...It could incorporate a design or logo like the 3x tuning forks :wink2:

wherearewe,

Welcome to the club! I was fortunate enough to visit your beautiful country a few times back in the '80's and really enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, I did not take advantage of those trips to visit the South Island. Big regret.

You have really done a masterful job of resurrecting that bike. Glad that the hard tail bug has not made it's way to NZ yet!

I think that the change to a TCI ignition was only done here to comply with our EPA regulations. Not that it matters, but your bike was probably points from the factory. You can check to see if you have the TCI magnet on the rotor. When Yamaha switched to the TCI setup, they also went with an electronic regulator as well, so that would be your other clue.

Be sure to check your battery voltage (14.5V) at 3,000 RPM to ensure proper operation of the regulator and charging system. A low battery means a weak spark which means incomplete combustion which means black wet plugs.

Keep up the good work, and perhaps you will be nominated for Bike of the Month honors!

Cheers.

Thanks for the advise pete! I will test my battery. Right now there is no charging setup, its literally battery, pamco, coil, grounds and thats it. I like to keep things simple as possible and progress along once something is right. I plan to install a PMA.
I think you might be right about the heat shield thing!
Cool that you had a chance to come to NZ. It will have changed ALOT since the 80's. And yeh the South Island really is the one for tourists. All that Lord of the Rings scenery right out the window...:thumbsup:

GS curved pipes mounted up and cermachromed. Will have to wrap them i guess otherwise i imagine i will burn the inside of my knees... Still need to mount a rear fender and a fake oil tin for electronics & too fill that space under the seat.
.............................LUV the pipes,,,, regards oldbiker:)

Back