Grinding/scraping noise in 5th gear

sweet! thanks for that. lots of good looking stuff in there. time to put some of that to use!!

and yes, 11mm from the end of the mainshaft to the oiling hole.

Yes a bloody mystery there, I'll have a read of the other threads now and see if I can come to some kind of conclusion before I go bananas and start ordering the gears....probably add to this thread to 2M, logical place to add...

oh, I actually forgot about this. and, it wasn't until a month ago that i actually found out what was causing the noise.

i gave the bike to a friend and we needed to rebuild his engine because his right piston decided to disintegrate in his cylinder and the whole cylinder block needed to be replaced (the connecting rod punched right through the side wall of the cylinder block). while we were putting in the 5th pinion gear i saw that, on one side only, of the 5th pinion gear the flat side of every single tooth was pitted. the matching 5th gear on the opposite side, the main gear, didn't have any of this pitting. i currently don't have any photos of it. but, the noise was caused by pitting on the flats of every single tooth on the 5th pinion gear.

i guess when i looked 2 years ago for any irregularities in the teeth, i didn't look hard enough. lesson learned.

thanks for everyone's help on this.

Hi Skull, I had two of those links you posted up on one of Bobs threads I posted on, it's good to know I was on the right tract. I'll look at the other one today. It's amazing that post_42 chimed in when he did.
I really think there is relationship between the 5th & 2nd gears not meshing correctly with some hard facing coming off the 5th gear, wearing and eventually whining.....like a crown & pinion with the backlash not adjusted correctly.... that's what I think anyway at this stage....I'll get into the clutch bit later

Mick

Back