GS450 - What do ya'll know about them?

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Ok so this was just passed along to me from a guy I know. What do ya'll know about Suzuki GS450's? Any common issues?

here is a project I would like to pass on to someone else, maybe you are
intersted or know someone.
GS450/sportster project I think it was a '78
went thru the top end, jugs off inspected, can't remember if I put new
rings & timing chain, did quick valve job, reassembled with new gaskets,
chopped the frame up, lowered, fitted sportster tank, seat, & fender.
new chain. Instrument cluster, carbs, side covers, coils bought off ebay.
Fitted a front brake caliper I had. I think I went thru the fork tubes &
seals. Been a few years. Crafted 2 into 1 intake for harley CV carb.
needs somebody to finish it or use the power plant for something else.
The bad thing is I don't have a title for the original bike. My stepson
bought it from a junkyard some 15 years ago, rode around a little bit &
parked it. I know I have more than $300 in it but that's what I am
asking.
see attached pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 405
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
I had one for about a year and 8k miles. It was a 1980 GS450L. Stock except for pods and gutted mufflers. Ran well, had good power for a 450. Didnt have any real problems with it just stupid stuff, carbs gummed up, coil, tacho cable. Having 6 gears was neat though! Oil filter was replaceable and the dealer carried them. I read that the 450 twin was one of Zuks great motors as well and was the basis for some later models, but I dont remember the details.

I had one for about a year and 8k miles. It was a 1980 GS450L. Stock except for pods and gutted mufflers. Ran well, had good power for a 450. Didnt have any real problems with it just stupid stuff, carbs gummed up, coil, tacho cable. Having 6 gears was neat though! Oil filter was replaceable and the dealer carried them. I read that the 450 twin was one of Zuks great motors as well and was the basis for some later models, but I dont remember the details.

Cool, I should be going to look at it tonight or tomorrow. I will probably pick it up for that price. The only downside is the no title. Thinking I can have my friend Phil title it for me. He does mechanic liens all the time.

hell yea add another pony to that growing stable of yours. where the hell do you keep them all!?

and btw that intake...i have questions if you get it :thumbsup:

LOL that's what I keep asking myself..... I don't have a garage here. Luckily I took one of them up to IL to keep up there. I keep the XS at my friend's mom's garage. The Harley was in my storage room, but now it's in a friend of mine's shop. We're going through the engine and once we get it all together I will build the rest.

The GS450 has a very tough, lively motor, but there are two issue with Zooks of that generation to watch for. One is that they tend to overheat the reg/rec when they're run hard; diode fails, AC gets pumped to battery, battery acid boils over and spews out the vent tube. Just keep an eye on it and have a spare on hand. The other vulnerable item is the cam chain tensioner. The tensioner shaft is notched, and moves inward along a ratcheting pawl. Adjustment is automatic--until it isn't. Removing the tensioner on the twins is a matter of undoing two screws in an easy location; if the bike has much over 20K miles on it, take the tensioner off and have a look at how far the shaft has moved in--it holds its position until you manually release the pawl. That will give you an idea of what kind of shape the cam chain is in. Check the tensioner itself for wear, especially the pawl; if in any doubt, that thing is a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Hey Jimmy, I have an 80 GS450. It's a great little bike and very peppy engine. Much smoother than the XS, as it's counterbalanced, and yes the 6 speed is great. Mine is an E model, more like. My first bike was an 80 GS450S.

call me an ass but $300 for a fuggled up in pieces no title zook 450? You gotta send me some of that water you're drinking. I don't see anything other than a sportster tank that's of any use to anyone, specially you... Let this one go Jimmy you don't need it.

Re "upgrades" and the Zook charging system, Jimmy, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you're going to be riding the bike at sustained high rpm's, do the opposite of what you'd do with your Yamaha, and dump that extra current any way you can--install a high wattage headlight and run with the high beam on, use a halogen tail light, and so on. Got to agree with gggGary, though; I don't know how things are in Texas, but in many states you'd just be buying a parts bike if the machine lacked paper, and $300 is pretty steep for that.

The GS 450 is/was a great 450 twin. Very compact design. It had a counter balance shaft that allowed very smooth hi revs. There was one that came into our shop 30 yrs ago, this kid really mistreated it. Abused it in every way, it was amazing how well it held up.

call me an ass but $300 for a fuggled up in pieces no title zook 450? You gotta send me some of that water you're drinking. I don't see anything other than a sportster tank that's of any use to anyone, specially you... Let this one go Jimmy you don't need it.

Re "upgrades" and the Zook charging system, Jimmy, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you're going to be riding the bike at sustained high rpm's, do the opposite of what you'd do with your Yamaha, and dump that extra current any way you can--install a high wattage headlight and run with the high beam on, use a halogen tail light, and so on. Got to agree with gggGary, though; I don't know how things are in Texas, but in many states you'd just be buying a parts bike if the machine lacked paper, and $300 is pretty steep for that.

The title doesn't bother me THAT much. Like I said I can get it titled pretty easy. Just through a mechanics lien. I didn't plan on paying $300. There's more to the story of "if" I pick it up. I have a buyer if I rebuild it already.

LOL that's what I keep asking myself..... I don't have a garage here. Luckily I took one of them up to IL to keep up there. I keep the XS at my friend's mom's garage. The Harley was in my storage room, but now it's in a friend of mine's shop. We're going through the engine and once we get it all together I will build the rest.

HAHA thats awesome, I too have a habit of stashing multiple bikes/vehicles at other peoples places. Gotta love having the garage code!

The title doesn't bother me THAT much. Like I said I can get it titled pretty easy. Just through a mechanics lien. I didn't plan on paying $300. There's more to the story of "if" I pick it up. I have a buyer if I rebuild it already.

So what needs to be buttoned up/how long? Got a buyer already too? Do it! But x2 on garys comment, gotta haggle just a bit :D

I went and looked at it. It's actually pretty clean; for the most part. Needs new bars, it comes with all of the parts that he has. It comes with the original carbs, plus the harley one. The top end looks pretty good. The guy is an acquaintance, he owns the liquor store down the road :D. Plus.... He let me turn up an aluminum capacitor holder/mount.. :D

I think buying this for $200 (what I know he'll go down to) might open up an avenue for some serious garage usage.. Old dude built 3 Harley hardtails.. I dunno, It may be worth the money just for the purpose of being allowed to come use his shop!!

Ok, a little Ipad issue. Here's a couple of my bike, and a couple of a GS400 that a guy on TCU built. I have mine all apart now. Not putting a sporty tank on mine, I love my gas tank. It's the centerpiece of the bike.

Attachments

• user23647_pic7032_1288143667.jpg
    user23647_pic7032_1288143667.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 372
  • user23647_pic7166_1290896784.jpg
    user23647_pic7166_1290896784.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Test_1.jpg
    Test_1.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 818
  • test_2.jpg
    test_2.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 310
Cool gas tank man; really. This one comes with a sporty tank. I would be more interested in getting it to run and sell it off. That's IF the possible buyer is ok with that. I do like that little chop though. I have understood that being geared to 6 gears allows the damn thing to have a decent top speed.

Yeah, it cruises along nicely, and without the vibes of the XS it's a fun scoot. The cop I believe is a bike earlier than mine. I think it was a 400. I f I was to even think about changing the tank, I would have to change the backbone, as it has a triple backbone. I don't know what the 400 had, but it came out sweet.. I love those vintage Firestones too.

Back