GSXR Fork Swap ?'s

Adrenaline-Junkie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive seen a few people do fork swaps but there hasnt been a lot of information posted on the details involved. What GSXR forks are most commonly used in the swap and what modifications are needed to do it? Thanks

Haven't got mine together just yet but by all my calculations it's really not that difficult. I have 2 sets of 05 GSXR 600-1000 forks. The stem is about 10mm shorter than the factory stem and the bearing cup in the xs frame on the bottom is extremely deep so I cut that down about 7-8mm and with the all balls bearings it should fit just fine. Now the wheel is slightly different. The brake rotor on the factory wheel won't line up needs a 7-8mm spacer to center it (I am trying to get some of these cut. And then I need to figure out the axle may have clamp spacers made to slide the factory axle into....the second I am using a GSXR wheel so no worries there just out back have to figure out how to mount a matching wheel is whole nother issue.

Yeah, ive been trying to figure out how to match the rear wheel with the front. I guess it kinda depends on how involved you want the swap. Really with how large the rotors are on a stock gsxr wheel you cant see much of it anyway so if you used one it wouldnt matter what was used in the back. Of course that would bother the crap out of some people. You could also just not run front brakes and use an xs650 wheel OR adapt the rotors to work on a stock hub. lol

Im talking with someone who has done the swap and seeing if they can come up with something for me.

You can run a single disc setup with the GSXR parts. You would probably want to change the master cylinder, but a single brake stops these bikes well, especially a modern Nissin, Tokico, or Brembo with a 320MM disc.

I have an sv650 rear wheel same design as the gsxr wheel to try but the sprocket hub is huge and will need to be machined down to move the sprocket over and cut down on width.

So you just made plates to use with a stock wire wheel and the gsxr rotors? That would be ideal. How hard was that to do?

They are SV650 Rotors, but I believe RF600 and GSXR600's of the similar vintage had the 19.05mm offset 290mm OD rotors. You have to spacer them 0.115"-0.123" off the XS wheel (86mm Brake mount - Brake mount, 43mm from CL) to get it to the SV650's Wheel setup of 92.07mm for the same dimension.

It's a 0.700" extension of the steering shaft (cut, welded steering shaft), new Speedo delete spacer, New spacer under the bearing to get the tree away from the counterbore in the neck.

Not hard to do. Hard to do correctly. I measure twice, then measure again. I model, fit together virtually and have parts cut. Cost me ~$150 in lathe and milled parts. Plus the hours and hours design work. But I like doing it.

Here's some information on the XS650 front wheel and neck buildups, to help you and others.

Attachments

• SV650-XS650 Front wheel adaptation.PDF
    76.5 KB · Views: 663
  • 2000 SV650 Front Disc - Bolt circle modifications.PDF
    797.6 KB · Views: 422
  • XS650 Neck Buildup Horizontal.PDF
    37.7 KB · Views: 544
  • XS650 Front Wheel buildup.PDF
    34.1 KB · Views: 476
Made my wheel spacers tonight hope the bearings come tomorrow I can assemble the front end aside from the rotor still need to get spacer cut but can triple check how far I need to space it out with it mounted.

Mockup pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 6,470
Hi Nate,

Looks good. What's the front end length? Anything shorter than 720mm - 725mm from Axle-top of the triple clamp is going become hungry for a steering damper, which I think is actually pretty cool.

Are you running the OEM yamaha disc? The 8mm thick disc is going to be cumbersome to make work with the Radial tokico's. You'll need to make sure the pistons in the calipers can get "out" of the bores enough with that thicker disc. Otherwise you will have a bit of a "hump" when applying the brake/brakes after the pistons have retreated all the way back with the trapezoidal seal.

I think the Yamaha OEM disc is 296mm. I suspect those legs/brake mounts are for a 310mm disc (guessing).

Assuming you can get the disc spaced out enough without losing registration to the hub (you mentioned needing 7-8mm of spacing and I'd agree), without crashing the disc face into the leg (shouldn't be an issue), Maybe using some 1.5mm worn pads (missing 0.059" per pad), you may still have an issue where the disc annulus leaves the pads hanging over the disc by 5.5mm if the brake mounts are setup for 310mm discs (14mm/2 = 7mm, 7mm-1.5mm of existing Pad-Disc clearance).

Radial calipers are really tough to make work with a different wheel typically. The only thing that is easy with them, is going UP in brake disc diameter (spacers under the calipers).

Let me know if you run into problems. I might have enough resources to help out.

Good luck bud.

I measure 28.6" just over 725mm center axle to top of triple. Haven't decided if I am running a dampened or not its def an option.

The rotor is stock xs and the exact same diameter as the gsxr rotor I have gsxr wheel with rotors too for another xs bobber project. And the xs rotor measures 7mm thick, thicker than the gsxr but shouldn't be too bad.

Got my wheel and stem bearings today and mocked it up need to cut the rotor spacers but looks like it will work just fine.

Stem bearings 48x30x12 cut the bottom bearing cup down to 13mm deep and it fits perfect with no mods to the gsxr triple.

Wheel bearings 47x25x12 center spacer 68mm brake side spacer 13mm speedo drive side spacer 25mm made from 1.25 Dom Molly tubing perfect inner and outer diameter.

I measure just over center axle to top of triple. Haven't decided if I am running a dampened or not its def an option.

The rotor is stock xs and the exact same diameter as the gsxr rotor I have gsxr wheel with rotors too for another xs bobber project. And the xs rotor measures thick, thicker than the gsxr but shouldn't be too bad.

You're close enough for things to work. Internet Hi-5 man. Just make sure the ID of the rotor can still register on the OD of the wheel hub. You may need to make a ID/OD/ID stepped spacer. Things can get kind of funky, but keep wall thicknesses above and you'll probably be safe. You'll have about 10mm of Register on the speedo side, and like 12mm on the free side.

Got my wheel and stem bearings today and mocked it up need to cut the rotor spacers but looks like it will work just fine.

Stem bearings 48x30x12 cut the bottom bearing cup down to deep and it fits perfect with no mods to the gsxr triple.

Wheel bearings 47x25x12 center spacer brake side spacer speedo drive side spacer made from 1.25 Dom Molly tubing perfect inner and outer diameter.

Makes sense with removing that deep cup on the bottom of the XS650 neck, I just wasn't happy with doing so on mine. Will you be running a bottom seal now? You could probably use the OEM suzuki seal if you cut a little relief on the bottom of the steering stop. By cutting the cup, you've effectively lowered the front end another 13mm. So your front end is like 712mm now. Parking lot maneuvers are going to be pretty easy :D. The clip ons will reduce the likelyhood of too much steering input at speed, but I'd (theoretically) feel a little iffy with such a short front end and light motorcycle. It will probably work just fine in practice.

Is the top of the stem 30mm also? That does simplify the neck bearings for sure.

Suzuki front ends are plentiful (moreso that XS650 front ends). There are some variations for Year/Model, but typically the front wheels are all the same installation/ID. It's just a matter of getting the brake disc out to the radial caliper, which can suck.

I think it looks great, and you're going to have a very nice front end man.

Ya the All Balls come with seals top and bottom for the bearings its slick. may take a few mm off the bottom of the top triple to bring it down a bit but I wanted aggressive have modern sport bike swing arm rake and trail should be very similar. i didnt even plan to use this front on this bike got one for another project and the swap is simple enough it made it on here and had to get another one. They came out about the same price as what I sold the stock parts for so win.

Back