GSXR front caliper & rotor on stock 35mm forks???

Quinn

S-Tracker/74frame/79motor
Reaction score
I'm building my second XS650 - kind of a "cafe/scrambler". I'm going with 18" rear with stock drum brake and a 19" front (both spoke). I'd like to ditch the heavy stock caliper and rotor and replace with a GSXR caliper and rotor (singe side).

Dose anyone have any info on this type of swap? i.e.: parts and work that will be involved?

Thanks!

I'm building my second XS650 - kind of a "cafe/scrambler". I'm going with 18" rear with stock drum brake and a 19" front (both spoke). I'd like to ditch the heavy stock caliper and rotor and replace with a GSXR caliper and rotor (singe side).

Dose anyone have any info on this type of swap? i.e.: parts and work that will be involved?

Thanks!

Here is a link to a similar conversion thread. Yamaha Blue spot, but the thread has lots of other info:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197

I did a conversion over to Brembo 4 piston calipers. I made up my own adapters brackets from 3/8" aluminum. I use the stock rotors.

I use the stock M/C on the rear.

I was using the stock M/C (14 mm) on the front, but I recently bought a Brembo (12 mm) M/C which I will be installing soon for the summer riding.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Brembo Rear Mounting.JPG
    Brembo Rear Mounting.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 250
Jeez RG, even the backside of your license plate is clean! Still snowing up there?:thumbsup:

roy

Yeah Roy, you've got a sharp eye. The day I took those pictures, I think I was heading out to the weekly bike night at the A&W burger place. Here in Calgary, those guys at the bike nights are really picky, and if they catch you with chain oil on the back of the plate:yikes:, well you would never hear the end of it!

I always say, "A clean bike is a happy bike":D

Finally stopped snowing, but usually -20C in the mornings! Say Roy, have you moved down to Arizona yet?

and I made an adapter like RG, but I used a brembo 2 piston instead off of a Ducati monster 800 with 65mm pin spacing.

Our weather is shitty too. its been -20 to -40 for about a month. No more snow so far though. Ran the KLR yesterday. started easy in the 10*C garage...sure doesn't like the -35 ambient though....ice racers must have to richen up quite a bit!

Yes RG, we were in AZ the last couple weeks getting established in the new winter quarters. It's different than rural MN but we are on the far east edge of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, hard up against the Superstition Mountains so good biking is only minutes away.
Back in MN now until March.

Oh, and the temps are around 70 degrees down there.

roy

Hi guys thanks for posting! I guess what I'm getting from your comments is that I can use the stock rotors and a variety of different calipers as long as I fabricate the right bracket to hold it?

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for posting! I guess what I'm getting from your comments is that I can use the stock rotors and a variety of different calipers as long as I fabricate the right bracket to hold it?

You sumed it up rather well. Some combinations require a spacer ring for the rotor mounting, especially if you use non stock rotors (due to different rotor offsets). My conversions did not require a spacer.

Some calipers actually need to be shaved slightly to achieve clearance with spokes.
Read down through this link:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7122

thanks RG, but i'm wondering if this kit will also accept something other than a Brembo? I'm interested in the GSXR calipers because they are a lot less expensive. I guess i'll shoot them an email. Anyway thanks for the link!

Quinn,
Just FYI, on the latest GSXR models, Suzuki started fitting BREMBO brakes as standard. To me, this indicates that Brembo indeed are the dogs bollocks when it comes to brakes. So maybe the price reflects the performance and quality of the calipers. I have a -95 Ducati Monster with the older type 4-piston Brembo calipers (40 mm bolt spacing), and there has never been any issues with the calipers or master cylinder over the 19 years and 100 000 km I have ridden this bike.

Disagree...having owned a ducati 999 and ridden an older gsxr pre brembo with aftermarket braded lines. The stopping power was equal. Neither were radial mounted.

Quinn. Any good 2 piston tokico or nissin caliper from any newer japanese bike...ie my kawasaki versys should give you a ton of stopping compared to the original...and can probably be had for cheaap. Then build your own adapter.

Posted via Mobile

thanks RG, but i'm wondering if this kit will also accept something other than a Brembo? I'm interested in the GSXR calipers because they are a lot less expensive. I guess i'll shoot them an email. Anyway thanks for the link!

Each brand of caliper has its own unique size and shape. So, the Brembo adapter is not likely going to fit a GSXR caliper. Your best bet would be to just make up your own adapter for the GSXR caliper.

Thanks again guys - always good to to get different perspectives!

Yes, the Tokico calipers can be had for as little as $20, does anyone know if they will fit a stock XS rotor? or... even if it does, is that not a good idea?

Im running stock xs rotor on mine with the brembo. Its fine. Just a bit thicker so i might have to belt sand the pads a tiny bit when i replace them. And my 2 piston brembo even with same pin spacing as the 4 wouldnt fit the pandemonium bracket properly. So i made one.

Posted via Mobile

Back