H or sh. How to tell??

The "H" and "SH" were basically trim packages. The motors and carbs are the same. The "H" was the budget Special II model with spoke wheels. The "SH" was the deluxe Special model with the mag wheels. Yours being a hardtailed bobber, none of that probably matters anymore.

The "H" and "SH" were basically trim packages. The motors and carbs are the same. The "H" was the budget Special II model with spoke wheels. The "SH" was the deluxe Special model with the mag wheels. Yours being a hardtailed bobber, none of that probably matters anymore.
If you have spokes, you can still claim it a 'h' or if you have mags, 'sh' then.

4N9_2%263.jpg

XS650H

XS650SH.jpg

XS650SH

There is a common fault with this ID chart that is copied in others. 79SF and 79 Special II are wrong., and the 82 and 83 US models are J and K not SJ, SK.

The new bike I bought in 1983 was an XS650SK-B.
$(KGrHqFHJDcE90pevi)lBPhKfH0s5!~~60_35.jpg

Am I missing something?

If the '79's aren't XS650F, XS6502F, and XS650SF, then what are they?
mzJ79Z7KE_Z7Fu_Albb4Gsw.jpg

jetmechmarty,

My understanding is the US model 82/83 Heritage Specials Were the J and K because they retained Spoke wheels and the Canadian 82/83 got the SJ and SK because they had the mag wheels.

Kinda makes sense when looking back at the spoke and mag G/SG, H/SH.

Im sure the SF and 79 Special II ID no's are wrong on those charts. The feedback i have from owners is the SF and 79Special II no's The SF 2F0-150101 to, and the 79Special II was 2F0-250101 to. I have confirmation from US owners of the 79 Special II and the 79SF. Also lines up with the ID chart i use and have posted in the ID sicky

Those charts have the SF as 2F0-250101 to, and Special II 4F0 250101 to.

jetmechmarty,

My understanding is the US model 82/83 Heritage Specials Were the J and K because they retained Spoke wheels and the Canadian 82/83 got the SJ and SK because they had the mag wheels.

That does make perfect sense, but all my documentation said otherwise. Another thing is that I'm completely unaware of the mag equipped Canadian SJ/SK. My understanding was that Canada got a 1984 cast wheel equipped Heritage Special designated XS650SL. Perhaps Fred in S'toon can help with this as he bought a new '84 model.

I bought a junkyard '79 Special II several years ago. It's still parked in my basement in all its rusty glory. If the tag is still on the neck, could it shed any light on this?

jetmechmarty,

That does make perfect sense, but all my documentation said otherwise. Another thing is that I'm completely unaware of the mag equipped Canadian SJ/SK. My understanding was that Canada got a 1984 cast wheel equipped Heritage Special designated XS650SL. Perhaps Fred in S'toon can help with this as he bought a new '84 model.

I bought a junkyard '79 Special II several years ago. It's still parked in my basement in all its rusty glory. If the tag is still on the neck, could it shed any light on this?

OK, now I'm all confused. :)

So I had what I thought was a SF model...build date 1/'79....with ID# 2FO-255152. Here's how it started:

full

Is it an SF or a 2F?

It's a 2F or Special II, and a rather rare and sought after one at that. 1979 was the only year the Special II came with alloy rims on the spoke wheels. If I was looking for a Special, this one would be at the top of my list.

On the Yamaha website they are listed as:
XS650F - 1979
XS650_2F - 1979
XS650SF - 1979

For reference, I have put pictures in the same order.
2005_0509_054551AA.JPG

full

XS650-special.jpg

I was unable to find a pic of a bone stock '79 Special II

I have a Canadian 83 Heritage Special , that was imported brand new into NZ in 83. The Canadian models were used to supply other countries that conformed with the KPH Speed o and any other related issues that they didn't need to be modified for.

The serial no is 5v5 031*** Mag wheells with drum brake mag on the rear. TCI ignition

I haven't been able to find the bone stock 79 Special II, they either have low bars or those lovely big arse seats, but a member,(jd750ace ), here has confirmed his 79 Special II as a 2F0 25****
full

Check out your79 S II, be interesting if it confirms or denies the 2F0 or 4F0. I guess Brassneck helps to debunk the 4F0- 250101 79 Special II as his has the 2F0 prefix.

Couple of pics of my 83SK. The second is my son and i leaving From Eltham, Taranaki, North Island NZ going to Blenheim at the top of the South Island. Check it out with google maps. 2 up all the way

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of Yamaha XS 650.JPG
    Copy of Copy of Yamaha XS 650.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 138
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 125
650Skull,

Could your bike actually be an '84 model? It would have been manufactured in 1983. I'm suggesting it may have been titled as an '83 model due to the build date. It could easily happen with a border crossing. My 1983 XS650SK-B was manufactured in 1982.

Interesting. The XJ1100 saw extended life in Canada as well. The USA got a 1982 XJ1100J only. Canada got 1983 and 1984 models. It's like when the run was over they used all the leftover parts to assemble some more bikes and send them to Canada.

Back when i bought the bike the ownership papers had the every owner, and the date and mileage of the bike, bought and sold. Those are in NZ somwahere and later they changed to a slip of paper which changed as the owners.

I remember the bike being bought into NZ in 83, (bit anal about those things), as per the papers but, to be honest i couldn't be 110%.

Think the 84, (and 85 especially) was a rehash of the 83/84, and sold as an 85 but may have had the earlier plats. I don't think the Canadian market was a dumping ground as the 83 and 84 models had mags with the drum rear mag and the US and even out Oceania market stopped with the Drum rear Mag in 81. Yet to confirm there was an 82 Canadian mag model as the chart says?

I don't think the Canadian 83 and on Canadian models were imported into other countries from there, Maybe if another region wanted them then they would have come straight from Japan but were Canadian badged, as that was the last country they were made for.................Speculation based on reason??????????

My '79 Special II sn is 2F0-25XXXX
My '83 Heritage is JYA5V4001DAXXXXXX, so, that makes it a 5V4.

Skull, you have to explain to me what you're trying to prove about the Special II. Also, I have never seen a document relating to my bike calling it an XS650K. Every document I ever had notes XS650SK-B.

- - - My understanding was that Canada got a 1984 cast wheel equipped Heritage Special designated XS650SL. Perhaps Fred in S'toon can help with this as he bought a new '84 model. - - -

Hi Marty,
what really amazes me is that I can still find the bike's original handbook and yes, it sez
XS650SL right on the cover.
Cast wheels, rear drum, stepped lift-off seat, long gone rototiller bars and a fully blacked out engine, crankcase, carbs and all, just the side covers were polished.
I think the blacked out engine was an '84 only feature. Certainly my son's '80 Special didn't have it.

Back