Had it running momentary, but can't get it running again.

1982XS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 1982 XS650 that required a new charging rotor. I replaced that and got a few new things including a battery, spark plugs, fuel lines. After replacing those things I kicked her over a few times and she idle'd fine. Let her run for a few minutes and then called it a day. Next day I kicked her over again and she wasn't idling and backfiring occasionally. Now I can't start the bike. Here is a picture of the spark plugs.
M7YikqN.jpg

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

1882xs650,

1. Check for spark.
2. Gas...do you have gas in the tank?
3. Also possible when you changed the fuel lines you caused the junk in the old lines to break loose and get into the carbs.
4. Try priming the carbs as well using the prime position on the pet cock.
5. The '82 also has a Ralph Nader switch on the kickstand that disables the ignition with the kick stand down.
6. There is a kick stand relay that works off of this Mickey Mouse arrangement under the left side air filter cover. Find it and remove it.

It ran long enough to suck up the crap in the passages of the carb.
Now all that dried gum has rehydrated and is moving.
You can try slogging the shit out it with your choice of miracle in a can.
That should loosen up the rest of the crud so you can clean it all out one time. To start.
There will be others(carb cleanings).
It has long been said too many chase electrical problems through the carbs.
That was then(old fuel formulas) this is now(yeah e-fuel).
Today carbs are the first place I look. Not that I have a clue as to what I'm looking for.

Took apart the carbs, some gunk in the jets and blocking some fuel. Gonna clean it out, probably clean out the tank and then try getting it started again. I will update as soon as I get that all done.

Thanks

Back