Hagon Shocks

lidirtrider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hagon Shocks, Update 03/18 w/Pics

Does anyone have any experience with Hagon shocks? I'm getting ready to order some new shocks for my 75 and Hagons seem to be the best value for what I want. It will eventually be a full bore Cafe racer so I want to get some longer shocks. Any recomendations? I was thinking about 14 inches.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Hi!
The first thing I did after buying my XS, was ordering a pair of Hagons, to replace the useless OEM shocks. The ones I got were stock length, 80 mm stroke and turned out to be a huge disappointment, and almost as useless...
I used them half a summer, before ordering a pair of Ohlins, with 340 mm length and 100 mm stroke. I recommend going for function before style, and get the best modern shocks you can afford, Ohlins, Wilbers, WP or similar brands.

I have Hagons on my bike and they're just fine. I'm no expert however and don't race the bike, but I've had it around the track at Barber's and at 100+ on the back roads of Alabama and it behaved predictably. Had a friend who is an expert (works on suspensions for a living) ride the bike and he liked it.

Running progressive springs up front with cartridge emulators as well. I'm getting a new set of shocks made for the bike however through a friend, but if that wasn't available to me I'd keep riding on the Hagons.

I have a set of sportster shocks on mine and really love them, I thought they would be to stiff but I couldn't be happier, I'm a mechanic at the hd dealer here in town and we had a set laying around so I figured I would try them out before ordering some ohlins, granted they are no ohlins but a fraction of the price and surprisingly comfortable, I believe mine are around 14 inches, the center stand is just barely long enough to stand the bike up and the side stand is just barely to short now for my comfort, it works but makes me a little nervous cuz the bike leans over so far now

On the shocks, MMM at 650central will assemble Progressive shocks in several lengths with the right spring for your bike and your riding. Give him a call. Around $200.
On the side stand. Cut some ovals out of 1/4 inch steel. One just a little bigger than the foot of the sidestand. One just a bit bigger than the first.
Weld the smaller to the foot of the side stand. This will stand the bike up more. If not enough add the second oval. If still not enogh add a third.
Not only will this stand the bike up some but the larger foot helps it stand up better on soft surfaces.
Leo

On the shocks, MMM at 650central will assemble Progressive shocks in several lengths with the right spring for your bike and your riding. Give him a call. Around $200.
On the side stand. Cut some ovals out of 1/4 inch steel. One just a little bigger than the foot of the sidestand. One just a bit bigger than the first.
Weld the smaller to the foot of the side stand. This will stand the bike up more. If not enough add the second oval. If still not enogh add a third.
Not only will this stand the bike up some but the larger foot helps it stand up better on soft surfaces.
Leo

Great idea to call Triple M. I actually contacted Progressive a while back, and they said that they did noy have any shocks that fit my application and that they could not help me. I was a little stunned at that. I'll give Mike a call. Great idea for the kick stand too.

I had to lengthen my stand for my longer rear shocks and did just as Leo described. I think I started with about 3/8" thick plate which turned out to be not quite enough, added another 1/4" piece and it's good now. Welded up and ground down, it looks factory almost .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

So I've been looking around at different options for shocks. the only ones in my price range seem to be Hagon or YSS. I've already seen some differing opinions about Hagon, any word on YSS Suspension? Both are about 200 bucks. Everything else starts at about 500 a pair. A little out of my reach right now. Since my shock are basically toast right now, no dampening, just bouncing on springs, I might even go with the 85 dollar Mikes shocks just to have something until I can score some Works, or Ohlins, or Racetechs.

MMM at 650central has been riding and racing these bikes since they came out. I trust his experience. If he says the Progressive shocks work they work.
Leo

Oh I don't doubt that the Progressives will work. I was just shocked that I was pretty much blown off by them. They make a stock size shock for 650's, which would mean that they have the right size eyelets and bushings. But when I asked if i could get a longer shock, they said they couldn't help me. I was really disappointed with Progressive after that, and kind of didn't want to run them on principal.

I have Hagons on my bike and they're just fine. I'm no expert however and don't race the bike, but I've had it around the track at Barber's and at 100+ on the back roads of Alabama and it behaved predictably. Had a friend who is an expert (works on suspensions for a living) ride the bike and he liked it.

Running progressive springs up front with cartridge emulators as well. I'm getting a new set of shocks made for the bike however through a friend, but if that wasn't available to me I'd keep riding on the Hagons.

What length are the Hagons you are running? I really like the look of the skinny shocks, thats why I was thinking of the Hagons. I've seen your bike and I really like it. Would you consider selling your shocks when you get your new ones?

I run Hagon shocks on my XS and they work fine. Combined with swing arm brass bushes, progressive front springs with Racetech emulators and tapered roller head bearings I'd say my bike handles pretty good.
I also run Hagon shocks on 2 of my other bikes and am pretty happy with all. The last 2 purchases were for my V35 Imola and V45 Sabre mono shock. I supplied rider and pillion weights and riding style and road conditions and had these specially setup by Hagon and am pretty pleased. $300 for the Guzzi, $500 for the Sabre. I'm sure Hagon will work with you to build anything you want. I can't afford Ohlins with so many bikes. I run YSS cartridge emulators in my Sabre and progressive in all forks.
Having said that, when I bought the XS the Hagon shocks were already fitted and it was MMM at 650 central who sold me the progressive springs and emulators for the front and from his advice I left the rear shocks alone. Leo is right, if you're not sure you cant go wrong by taking his advice.

Last edited:
Well, the weather has been unseasonably awesome, I just can't wait any longer. So I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Hagon shocks from www.davequinnmotorcycles.com. I have to tell you, it is so damn nice to call a number, and get not only an actual human being on the other end of the line, but THE human being that the company is named after. It was such a pleasure to deal with Mr. Quinn. He seems to know his stuff about XS's, and motorcycle suspension in general. We talked about spring rates and such, and he offers up to 2, FREE exchanges on springs so you can get the exact spring you need. Awesome. The best part, I just ordered the shocks a few minutes ago, and I should have them on Tuesday!

I will post some pics up as soon as get everything all fiitted up. This will be the first real step in getting my bike cafe'd up.

lidirtrider,

I just called and ordered a set a Hagon shocks last friday and had the same experience you had. It was great speaking to a human and this human being the owner. I told him i was looking for a pair of black 360mm slimline shocks. Explained to him i'm doing a scrambler build and I picked his brain about spring rates. Can't go wrong with the 2 free spring exchanges. Told me they would ship the same day. Will provide update after on bike and I put them to the test.

lidirtrider,

I just called and ordered a set a Hagon shocks last friday and had the same experience you had. It was great speaking to a human and this human being the owner. I told him i was looking for a pair of black 360mm slimline shocks. Explained to him i'm doing a scrambler build and I picked his brain about spring rates. Can't go wrong with the 2 free spring exchanges. Told me they would ship the same day. Will provide update after on bike and I put them to the test.

HAH! He actually mentioned you while I was talking to him. Said he just sent a set of the same style to a fella also in NY. I went with 350mm Black body and black slim springs. I cant wait to get em'.

Where is Queensbury? I'm down on Long Island. Would be cool to get a NY, or at least a North East 650 club.

Where is Queensbury? I'm down on Long Island. Would be cool to get a NY, or at least a North East 650 club.

I'm about 3 hours north of NYC, and about 6 miles south of Lake George. I did see XSLeo is also a fellow NY stater. I've got a buddy that has a hardtailed XS. We should get a ride going for sometime this summer. Got to finish the bike first :eek:

Also came home yesterday and saw the shocks sitting on my doorstep. Ordered them 12:30 Friday and delivered on monday....now thats some fast service!

Last edited:
There's a handfull of us on here that live in NY state. Getting together sometime for a meet & greet sounds like a good time. I live about 240 miles from the NYC. 35 miles from Utica.
Leo

Well I got my shocks last night, and got them on the bike today. WOW! I'm not sure if it's because I had ZERO damping on the old shocks, and was just riding on the springs, or if it is also because these shocks are that good. I think it also has something to do with Mr. Dave Quinn helping me choose the correct springs too. I'll get some pics in a bit. I highly recommend Hagon shocks, and if you are going to get them, you ABSOLUTELY MUST get them from www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

Here's a few before and afters shots, and a comparison between the stock shock and the Hagon. Huge difference.

Attachments

• DSC04791.jpg
    DSC04791.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 978
  • DSC04792.jpg
    DSC04792.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 621
  • DSC04798.jpg
    DSC04798.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 928
  • DSC04800.jpg
    DSC04800.jpg