Hairline crack in right side crankcase

Jtjanes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a very small crack in my
Right crankcase where the tach gear enters. It seems the person who owned it befor me figured chroming the gases would be a great idea. The chrome shrunk the hole for that gear to fit and seems to have cracked the case right where the gasket seats. The crack is at the top of the case and is very hairline just wondering what the chances are of oil leaking at this location, not sure what kind of pressure would be in that spot And bike is in pieces so I can't try and test it. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this or has any solutions befor I put lots of time into restoring this case

Thanks

For what it's worth, I've had two instances of cracked cases and both of them were initially evident in front of the barrel. One was at the point where the hard oil line enters the cases and the other was closer to where yours is.
In both instances the cracks were NOT just on the surface and instead extended clear down toward the crankshaft support structure. The cases were not repairable.
I recommend you bite the bullet and tear the engine down and make a complete inspection. If it's a surface deal, then MAYBE it's OK to try a welded fix, but my recommendation is that another set of cases is the best way to go.
Good luck,
Craig

Hey thanks Craig. My cases are currently off, from what I can see the case is in great shape except for the small spot that the tach gear enters. I am contemplating new/used cases for sure but trying to keep my costs down

Ya I'll post ASAP it's getting chrome stripped off at the moment. Yes, it is just the case R-side hairline crack along gasket seat right at the hole where the tachometer goes in. I believe it was caused because of the checking making the hole smaller, because that gear was a bit bitch to get out of there ( had to get it pretty hot). Stand by for a picture

photos need to be online somehow - either in your photo album here on this site or an image hosting site such as photobucket

full

I doubt you would have any problem for a while. BUT. If you are already into it that far, find another case and be SURE there isn't a problem down the line. It will be worth it and there are plenty of them out there.. With the oil pressure of the XS you most likely won't see a leak there anytime soon. If you slap that case back on and you add "temperature and pressure over TIME" ; it could split worse because that is now the weak link.

To post a pic you need it to be in your computers pictures.
When you want to post a pic, click the Go Advanced button below where you write the post.
This takes you to a place where you can select the pic from your computer. Scroll down to find the manage attachments, click on it.
This brings up a window, click browse, this takes you to your computer pics. Find your pic, click upload. Once uploaded click submit reply
Below where it says browse it has a list that tells the max size of different file types you can upload.
Leo

Looked at your pics in the album. I might try that cover and not worry to much till it showed signs of leaking.
Once the chroming is removed then I would use a straight edge and check to see if where the cracks are is a high spot. If it is a high spot I would use a file to carefully remove the high spot.
This should take care of any possible leaks.
If you want you could grind a vee along the crack and fill with JB Weld to above the gasket surface, then after 24 hours of curing use the file to bring the JB Weld flush with the surface.
There is no oil pressure around that area. Just oil splashing around. I doubt it will leak.
Leo

Back