Handlebar question? Do Aftermarket Handlebars have cutout for electrical?

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a dumb question but since I can see any of the bars online in person I dont know the answer. I like the euro bars from mikes or 650central, do they have the cutouts to run the electrical wires from the bar mounted switches (turn signals, lights, horn, etc....) like the factory bars?

Thanks!

Thanks Jdizon. Why would I have to drill through the frame? Right now stock the wires come out the bars in/on the tripletree and then snake to light then battery. I am find with the stock wiring look (im going for a factory restore type look) I just dont like wires hanging all over the handlebars.

Does anybody have any pics with what they did with their bikes and aftermarket handle bars?

Drill through the frame to hide the wiring if your electronics box is at the other end of the bike where they're typically at. You can hide along the backbone but if you have a frisco mounted gas tanks it does not look to clean.

EPSN1501.jpg

Thanks. For my needs I probably just need to drill out the handlebars. Will drilling out the bars affect the integrity of the bar?

5twins - Know you have the eurobars, what did you do with the electrical wires?

My later model doesn't run the control wiring through the bars, it's all external. That was only done on some of the early models. You'd have to drill holes in your new bars to imitate that factory set-up.

Yes it will affect the bar's integrity. Often when the wiring hole is a slot the bars are reinforced around the slot. Is it a big deal? You will have to decide. It's between the mounts, the bars are usually bent further out and only after the crash.

$T2eC16NHJG!FFmhSkmcPBSUMBTIeww~~60_57.jpg

An example from a honda 350.

ahhh nothings easy is it. Does anybody have any pictures of clean installs or were to route the electrical outside of the bars? My year bars are identical to gggGary bars above.

So i was thinking I would get some replacement switches if I switch my bars so I still have all the OEM wiring and bars intact. I found a replacement right handle throttle switch on mikesxs, but I cannot find the lefthand clutch switch assembly can anybody help me out?

Hidden wire's came stock on a 73/74 Yamaha TX750.

I bought a 73 TX750 and swapped out the rusty original bars for some Superbike bars. I copied the factory hole's. It was easy to do.

I just drilled a pilot hole first. Then I used a step bit and walked it out to the end where I wanted it to stop.

73yamahatx750twin132_zps9bbd0089.jpg

The small hole here is a locating tab for the factory switch. You won't need to worry about that.

73yamahatx750twin130_zps2ab6c6a4.jpg

thanks for the pics. Are you worried about the strength of your bar now that you drilled a hole in it

I'm not worried about it. After all. They came from the factory like that.

I'd have to say if you get in a crash bad enough that you're worried about the bars,,,, you're screwed anyway. But that just my opinion. :D:

Those are made for a honda, I wonder if our controls will work on them?

Yes, your controls will work. Most Jap bike bar's are 7/8". The ad says "direct replacement for Honda". That means it will fit your Yamaha too. :D:D:D

How ever. Those appear like they may be just a bit shorter than the Superbike bars that I put on mine. You would have to find out the spec's of each bar to be sure.

While I had no problem's with the wiring being too long, my clutch cable is way to long. But I haven't really tried re-routing it again. I just put it through one time and called it done. No problem's with throttle cable's, or brake line's.

Here's a pic of mine with the Superbike bars.

full

99% of the time, original cables and wiring will work with new lower bars - you just have to take the time and apply some "common sense" to re-routing them. Unfortunately, this seems to be one of life's "great mysteries". People can't "see" or visualize what needs to be done. I really can't explain what needs to be done, it's different for every application. But it's not hard, well, for me anyway. It is very much so for others. The absolute mess many, many people make of this simple upgrade and change really bothers me. It makes me wonder what they're doing to more important aspects of their bike like tires, wheels, carb or engine tuning.

Dudes, if you fail here, quit now, that's the best advice I can give you. You'll never master the other more critical stuff. I know this sounds harsh but this is the way it is. Learn the crawl before you walk. Learn to walk before you run. Installing new handlebars correctly with all the associated (correct) cable re-routing is CRAWLING.

Yes, your controls will work. Most Jap bike bar's are 7/8". The ad says "direct replacement for Honda". That means it will fit your Yamaha too. :D:D:D

How ever. Those appear like they may be just a bit shorter than the Superbike bars that I put on mine. You would have to find out the spec's of each bar to be sure.

While I had no problem's with the wiring being too long, my clutch cable is way to long. But I haven't really tried re-routing it again. I just put it through one time and called it done. No problem's with throttle cable's, or brake line's.

Here's a pic of mine with the Superbike bars.

full
how are those superbike bars my clubmans that came on my cafe bike suck due to the long cafe tank and my short height

Truthfully, I thought I would hate them. I thought I would be all hunched over because I'm kinda tall,,6',,, and I thought it would hurt my back.

I now have them on all 3 of my bikes. :D

Back