Handlebar switch and wirering

Im just guessing.. perhaps the ground from the headlight high/low gets grounded in the headlight case?

The left/right switch gets grounded in the blinker cases?

The horn gets grounded in the horn?

Or is it so that there need to be a ground in the handlebar switch case as well as you have?:bike:

Thanks anyways for feedback much appreciated.

No prob. This is the first time there has been a thread involving a pass switch. I have a 74 and that has one as well but haven't opened it up yet

The high/low switch has no ground. It is simply directing power either to the high or low beam. The headlight bulb itself in the headlight bucket has the ground. The turn signal switch has a ground but it's not for operating the turn signals themselves. The signal portion of the switch simply directs power to the left or right signal, like the high/low switch does for the two headlight beams. The turn signal bulbs have the ground in their bulb sockets. The ground on the turn signal switch is for the self canceling portion and probably also for the "push to cancel" feature of the button.

The pink wire for the horn is its ground wire. When you push the button, it completes the circuit by grounding the pink wire to the housing. The housing is grounded by the black wire attached to the turn signal switch, through its mounting screw.

Im using a clutch side after market blinker, horn and high/low beam for switches. Im going to run them all into a after market headlight and join with wires coming from my electronics box.
Im putting 2 relays in my headlight bucket. A spst for horn and a spdt for high low beam. I have a switch in electronics box to turn power on for the headlight/taillight. The spdt will pass power through to low beam when open and when energized will pass power through to high beam. Its a smaller than stock headlight but room for the 2 relays and wiring. Also using the blinker for a kill switch only hot on the left blinker position and its going down to a relay in my electronics box to give power to my pamco and points.
Only running 2 14ga wires up to the bucket for power to relays and light and horn. 2 smaller wires that go to and from the blinker for kill, and running a 14ga back to electronics for a ground. 5 wires total for everything. This may be of help to you.

@5twins thanks for the explanation. Actually I just came back from the garage testing the horn with various sources... Hooked up the pink to the horn and power to the horn and then added a ground to the battery pushed the horn button with no success. Then I took apart the handlebar switch and put a wire with croc gribs to the handlebar switch where a ground were supposed to be at... And it worked.

So I figured that I would be missing the ground wired in my handlebar switch.

I then unsoldered the yellow/red wire from the turn signal reset switch like illustrated in the image.

5A0ECAF8-5167-49E7-BFC0-3394716E93BC_zpskl4nuiux.jpg

Then I made a new connection head to this wire and put it as ground to the handlebar switch housing as you can see here.

A49FA03C-A341-45C1-9756-2C295FA2E527_zpslimmesza.jpg

The yellow/red wire is AFAIK the Flasher canceling relay wire that I don't use anymore.

Hope someone can verify this for me ;)

At least the pink wire went to the plus on the horn and the yellow/red to the negative then another from positive to the horn and I pushed the horn button and it worked as expected. ;)

Am I missing something here or am I good to go!?

Thanks

@cruzin sounds clean and slick. Would love to see how it's wired up and Allso get some links/pointers as to where items is purchased. Thanks ;)

On our U.S. switches, both right and left assemblies need a ground but a ground wire is only provided in the left switch. The right switch grounds to and through the handlebars over to the left switch. I'm thinking maybe your Euro switches were set up opposite. Maybe the ground wire was in the right switch and your left switch picked up its ground through the handlebars. Do you still have the original right switch assembly that you could look in for that missing ground wire?

@cruzin sounds clean and slick. Would love to see how it's wired up and Allso get some links/pointers as to where items is purchased. Thanks ;)

Ill do a thread on what Im doing with the connections. As for where I got parts for the project I ordered from cycleterminal.com. Ill pm you about the thread. Hope I dont lead anyone astray!

@5twins, you might have a point there. I have the switch still and will open up and see.

I'm just not going to use the right handlebar switch again I think...

Could the solution I've come up with work out you think?

;)

Thinking about this at work this morning and realized, as 5Twins states, that the ground wire is grounding the whole switch and transferring to the bars.

If you ever sell the bike you'll become a dreaded PO if you use different colors for the ground wire:D

@650Skull yes your right, just that I'll make sure to color the wire correct at least wrap it in shrink wrap;)

Allso I'm not selling, this is a keeper.

Second, the wire harness is all black... I'll post some pics of it.. Once I get around to it.

Thanks BTW for thinking about this at work ;)

Would you say the ground setup I've done is plausible and will work out!?

Just a little followup on the wirering, the horn micro one had been mounted and tested fine. ;)

Then added the key switch and starter button. Result is great, had heck of a time making the hole for the ignition, stainless steel is hard 2mm.

7010DF0D-FF6E-48F2-A601-F8778D075C4F_zpsexr8jola.jpg

5504DF57-50D3-4822-9E41-4B51A798B19F_zpsejxvz5lz.jpg

36D15BE0-B63F-41E9-9273-6CA79AAD1D9C_zpsmbkobyk7.jpg

Have a great Friday, this weekend I'll work on the wirering.

Hi,Am stuck with wiring inside the handle bar,putting hole in the handle for inside wiring,will this hole loos strength of the handle bar pipe?pl let me know if am rite or wrong..:)

In my handlebar there is a hole for the wires already build in, the handlebar is a Tommaselli handlebar. I don't see why you can't make such yourself.

Thanks dude,am from India we don't get such a handle bar here,i thought the hole loosen the strength of the pipe,that's y i posted the doubt,any way il put the hole buddy n update it,
thanks a lot..
Bala:thumbsup:

Back