rear suspension bolt, help.

kevenc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm a total beginner when it comes down to mechanic. Here's a video of my problem.

Previous owner had a vertical license support that I removed, now the bolt is way too long, but I'm waiting on a replacement. Basically I cannot get the bolt to align with the thread on the other side. It feels to me like the shocks bottom hole of rubber goes just a bit too low for me to align it with the other end. My question is can I just scrape the rubber so I can align it or what else should I do ?

Last edited:
Not sure what to tell you. Those lower shock mounts can be a pain. You know that bolt went in before. I would not shave the rubber. You may need to compress the shock a bit to get it to line up. Keep trying. Hammer?

It looks like your rear wheel is on the ground. Raise the bike so the rear wheel is off the ground -- center stand, if you still have it. (Don't raise it by putting blocks under the swingarm!) The other shock will push the swingarm down. Now, put a wedge under the rear wheel, and raise the wheel until the hole is perfectly aligned.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with the rear shocks lower mounts. My solution is to carefully taper the end couple of threads on the bolt. Not to remove the thread completely, but to give a lead in for the thread to start. Only taper the first couple of threads a little. That's enough for the bolt thread to engage leaving a full thread engagement to secure the rear shock.

They can be a bugger sometimes.
If you remove the shock completely and then thread that bolt in to the bottom first I believe you'll see that it will fit.....of course the top has to be mounted first but you'll know the bottom will fit. Try loosening the top for some wiggle room to get that bottom fitted.

Thank you for all the answers, I do not have the center stand to raise the bike and I recognize now that I'm definitely unequipped to work on the bike. I have no mean to raise it, I'll buy a center jack to pull it up from the ground. Hopefully the center frame will withstand it.

Taping the threads on the bolt is definetely a great idea, I'll try that if I can't raise it.

Hopefully, I find something soon to work in a garage and have some space to store tools.

I can't see it in the video, but is the rubber bushing bad in the shock letting the hole for the bolt not be centered? Not sure if you can push them out and rotate it so the hole is aligned better.

Also I hope you are aware that one of the bolts is missing out of the rear sprocket!

I can't see it in the video, but is the rubber bushing bad in the shock letting the hole for the bolt not be centered? Not sure if you can push them out and rotate it so the hole is aligned better.

Also I hope you are aware that one of the bolts is missing out of the rear sprocket!
Thanks I'll try that aswell, yes I saw about the bolt missing yesterday. Do you know the dimension of those ? If not I'll just order the OEM one from XS650direct.

Last edited:
You don't need a stand or jack, just a bunch of 2 X 4 blocks. Put as many 2 X 4s as you can under the frame. Then, straddle the rear fender, grab the frame seat loop with both hands, and lift the rear of the bike while a helper adds one more 2 X 4 to the stack you made.
Not strong enough, or no helper? Make two stacks of 2 X 4 blocks, one stack under the left side bottom frame tube, one stack under the right side bottom frame tube. Lean the bike enough so you can add a 2 X 4 to one stack. Now, lean the bike the other way, and add a 2 X 4 to the other stack.

Thanks I'll try that aswell, yes I saw about the bolt missing yesterday. Do you know the dimension of those ? If not I'll just order the OEM one from XS650direct.
How about just taking the other one out the lock strap is on and go to the hardware store and match it up?

Might also want to check the others while you're at it. If some one left one out or loose I would not trust the others!

How about just taking the other one out the lock strap is on and go to the hardware store and match it up?

Might also want to check the others while you're at it. If some one left one out or loose I would not trust the others!
Yes, local Ace Hardware or the like should have both of those bolts and a thread finder that will show you the size and thread pitch.
As the shock mount bolt you have is too long , why fight to get it in only to pull out and do it again.
The sprocket bolts rely on even torque to stay tight. This can't happen if if one is missing. Vibration can cause the bolts to back out. If a bolt backs out on the road, it can't come all the way until it hacks into the swingarm like a nasty metal eating saw. Ask me how I know... use tread locker, torque to spec. And bend up the tab on the retainer. The retainers alone are not enough to prevent this . My bike had the factory retainers. They are bent very neatly and as they lined up perfectly with the flats on the bolts I assumed they were good to go. I was 50 miles down the highway at 70mph when I heard a horrible noise and vibration. Fortunately. On a stock bike , the sprocket bolts will shear off the chaingaurrd mount bolt first. Gave me time to get stopped. This is not my only highway vibration induced near-death experience so check everything. Rear turn indicators can vibrate off and swing by the wire until they are digested bi the rear wheel, not fun. Anyhow I'm rambling. Maybee a new thread. That chain looks thirsty. Have fun and welcome to the madness.

Alright, so first of all I was able to put the rear shock bolt back on, I used a metal rod under the shock and used it as leverage to raise it a bit and align the bolt.

I went to two local hardware store, I used the thread finder there but couldn't find a bolt with the correct measurement. They didn't have M10x1.25(full threading with the correct length). So I ordered them online instead, and I'll be replacing it when I get it.

As for the missing rear sprocket bolt, it's really bad. I found an old broken bolt in there. I'm not sure what I'll do for that yet.

There are all kinds of ways to line up the shock bolt. Glad you figured one out.

I have removed a few broken sprocket bolts, ones that were broken off and recessed in the threaded hole. It can be done, and you'll get lots of advice. FWIW, I'll say that you're probably okay with just the other 5 bolts, though others my disagree.

Re: broken sprocket bolts...
It's been a while but I acquired a Heritage Special rear tire complete that had two broken sprocket bolts. I started drilling into the centers of those remaining studs with a smaller diameter bit and they threaded out the other side, much to my delight.....so there's that.
Heat, penetrating oil and luck.

Back