Handlebars-What kind??

Who / what defines bars as "Euro".
Well I know of two different brands.
EMGO sells a "Euro" bar and
Bike Master sell a "EURO" bar also.
It has been shown in the past
(thanks 5twins), that the Bike Master brand is slightly wider and perhaps the better choice.
Norton7d, I think the blue 76 you"ve found has "EURO" bars on it.
-RT

I have an 83 that I have been riding with the stock bars. I can't say I like them.
I was walking out to my shed and I have two mini bikes out there. They are the Baja Warriors. As I went by I looked at the bars and thought, they look a lot like the bars on my Harley.
Snagged the bars off one. Took them over and they are very close to what the Harley bars are.
Put them on the 83. What a difference they made. They are almost same as the ATV bars I put on the 75.
They both have the same rise, about 4.5 inches, pullback of about 4.5 inches and the bars on the 75 are 29 wide, the 83 are 28 wide. I find these very comfortable.
The 75 had a set of bars that were very low, about 2.5 inches rise and about 4 .5 inches pull back. 28 wide, these handled well but I leaned on my hands harder than I liked. It made my hands hurt on longer rides. Bothered the back some two.
I guess you these are close to a super bike bars.
5twins, how close are these to you Euro bars?
Leo

I was browsing Ebay for risers. I found some Virago risers from about $30 and up.
I also found some other interesting things.
One is an adapter that mounts onto your riser and the bars mount to this adapter. It lifts and moves the bars back. I remember these type thing from years ago.
The other does a similar thing but rotates where it mounts to your risers. It lifts the bars 2 inches. I think these might be the better option between these two. Being able to rotate you have much more latitude in adjustment.
Riser adapters.jpg Bar rises #2.jpg
Wondered what you guys might think of these things.
Leo

A "Euro" bar is the type of bend. Generally they are somewhat low with only a few inch rise but the big distinguishing factor I think is the way the ends droop down slightly instead of sticking straight out. This feature is what makes them so comfortable. They set your wrists at a very natural angle to your arms. Now, this all works out as it should if, and this is a big "IF", you mount them properly. This applies to any bar really - you should line up the rise of the bars with the angle of the fork tubes. In other words, you want a straight line running up along the angle of the fork tubes and along the rise of the bars. This also improves suspension action. Any downward force you impart into the bars will transmit straight down into the forks instead of pushing forward or backward on them like would happen if you had the bar rise rolled ahead or back.

Yeah skipped the lock nut used blue locktite, no issues 4 me. I now have some metric coupling nuts ,and will do a custom nut, one of these daze.
thanx - got them on 2day - noticeably better "reach" for me; just turned 75 and surprise surprise, I don't fold at the middle as well as I used to. Snugged the stock nuts until flush with bottoms of riser stems - seemed to compress the dampers about right.

Curious if any members have compared stock SR500 bars to Euro or Tracker style bars. SR500 bars I would suspect have internal bar end weights.
-R

Honestly, it was so long ago that I changed the bars out on my SR500 that I don't even remember what the stockers were like, lol. It got Tommeselli Euro bars and they are wonderful. They're Italian, they make me go faster, lol .....

gFV9MdB.jpg

Italian , Nice !
Looking for 30" wide, maybe 31" ?
Hope to use my current great working stock (standard) M cyl..
Built for comfort, not speed
:)

Hello 5twins, can you also supply side and front photos, so the BARS can be seen in relation to fork angle and overall bike stance.

Last edited:
Pipes??? I thought this was a handlebar thread, lol. I probably don't have many pics of the SR. That got stuck in storage way back in 2005 when I put the 650 on the road in it's place.

OK, which bike, 650 or 500? I did find some 500 pics by the way. 650 side view is on the first page here but I'm sure I have others. For instance, these are Euro bars on my '78 Standard .....

j5505gZ.jpg

..... and another .....

8xen8Ef.jpg

Back