Hardtail ID anyone tell me who made this?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this recently and was wondering who made the hard tail. Any ideas?

htail1.jpg

htail2.jpg

htail3.jpg

multicylinder.jpg

OK the last one isn't mine but I couldn't resist throwing it in.

Almost looks like a TC Bro's, but it's not... axle plates look home made. Maybe a universal tubing kit?

looks very home made, can't see the bottom tube very well does it follow the line of the frame, or is it sloping down, looks like it is as the cross member is wat above it, also where the adjuster bolt sits also looks very small, might need to cut the end of the plate off.

incredible engine looks like loads of 2 stroke heads,

Could be homegrown. It also might be a Black Widow Choppers kit. They were pretty frikkin cheesy. They used 1" .095 DOM if I remember correctly.

Fixing the cross brace under the rear motor mount (at the base of the backbone) won't be that difficult. I'd be interested in seeing a few more pics, including a shot of the whole bike. Care to let us know how much it ran you? It's hard to tell from pictures, but that tubing looks too uniform in the bends to have been done in someone's backyard with a pipe bender. Any dimpling/ovaling that suggests it was done with a pipe bender rather than a tubing bender? This kind of buy always piques my curiosity.

that motor will flop around like a fish out of water like that, bet the bike will handle about the same, what a hack job someone needs slapped hard
I was thinking I could bolt a 2X4 in there to make it steady?

Ok I bought just the hardtailed frame, engine, and a small box of parts engine is free and has what feels like decent compression. It has a title (main reason I bought it.)
Anyone want a hardtail?
here are a few ideas. I am really not fond of hard tails in general and prefer the ones with a lowered seat area. Other than working on the stock 77 and my daughters 305 and and and I would like to start messing around with that nice sport bike front end, I have the mono shock rear to match.

htail4.jpg

htail5.jpg

htail6.jpg

htail7.jpg

htail8.jpg

htail9.jpg

htail10.jpg

I'd use particle board and staples for that lower mount (easier to work with) love that seat just be sure to wrap the rear wheel with T.P.

Well, it certainly is an abortion. Whoever did that definitely had no business being around a motorcycle... but. That frame is an easy fix. The seat rails are tacked on too low, making the whole tail section sag. I'd use a piece of 1"x2" box tubing to replace that cross brace and slug the rear downtube to tie it back in. Of course, if I got my hands on it, I'd drop those seat rails while I was at it, and redo the axle plates. The tubing is already bent, and as long as everything is lined up right, it's all good.

Thanks for the extra pics! The sport bike front end and rims just solidified my next chop. I've been planning on doing a KZ1000 or XS1100 chop next. 35* rake, severe drop-seat, 6-8" rear stretch, with those sport bike rims and forks? I'm sold.

:laugh:@jayel

Gary, I decided to answer your PM on this thread, just to give people an idea of what could be done, if they were so inclined, with a prefabbed hardtail frame. Keep in mind, this is not necessarily the best way to do it, but it IS a way it could be done, as long as you make sure, beginning to end, that everything is square. This is of course meant to be done on a bench with the rear tire and motor removed...

It's definitely DOM tubing. I'm pretty sure that was a kit (tubing cut to the right lengths and pre-bent to be welded together by the purchaser. Not a prefabricated tail section that just needs to be welded onto the rear of the frame.) It isn't thin, but if the tubing is 1" instead of the stock 1 and 1/8" tubing, it flexes too much. It hasn't caused any accidents that I've heard of, but it gets a little loose in the ass when you're driving 60 or 70 mph. I'm saying I think it is a kit because I would be surprised if the "builder" who welded on those axle plates could have managed to fabricate those rails. Just my opinion (I'm totally right though.)
The main complaint is that it would have cost Black Widow or any other maker pennies more to use 1 and 1/8" x .120 tubing instead of 1" x .095. One of the reasons they did it, is that the bottom hardtail-section rails slid into the existing bottom rails, instead of having to use slugs to butt the two sections together. It looked like hell besides being weaker.
If you don't have the time and inclination to do the work, I wouldn't bother. I said it wouldn't be that hard (which it wouldn't) but it might be a little time consuming. Personally, I would secure the whole frame to make sure it couldn't move, pack the seat rails with sand, remove the welds that are tacking it to the backbone and use a piece of packed 2" pipe as a form to bend the seat rails down. Do it a little at a time and keep checking to make sure it's all square.

I used one of your pics to give an idea of what I mean:

A.) REMOVE WICKED AWESOME SEAT.
B.)...

Attachments

• htail001.jpg
    htail001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 283
  • htail002.jpg
    htail002.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 246
  • htail003.jpg
    htail003.jpg