Harley Wheel on a Metric frame

Qimosabe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can Harley wheels be used on a metric frame ? I want to use 16" on both front and back for that Fat Tire brat bike look. I also prefer spoke over mag wheels. Another question is, Can a drum brake hub be laced on a Harley rim ?, for that old school look. Last question, is there a rear sprocket made for a Harley wheel that will match the front sprocket of a XS650 ?

Hi Qimosabe,
Yes but the Harley wheels have inch dimensioned axles so you'll have to get creative to match the XS650's 20mm rear & 17mm front axles.
Count the spoke holes, if the hub & rim have the same number of holes and you can determine the proper spoke length, why not?
You'll need a 36T or smaller 530 sprocket to match the XS650's 17T front.
Check a Harley parts catalog to see if they have that small of a sprocket.

I have used Harley wheels on many builds but as FRED said axles are different and I have used on front sportster front ends to make it a easy setup. This bike has 21" on front and 18" on back with both using Harley brakes.

Attachments

• xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 781
  • 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 919
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 966
Thanks for the input guys. It's all coming together. Found a solution to the sprocket conundrum. See below. Any tips on what to do about the axle ... ?

Attachments

• Mr Luckys HD XS650 Sprocket.jpg
    Mr Luckys HD XS650 Sprocket.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 469
Your other option is to look up voodoo vintage. They sell neck cups and bearings to fit a Harley front end onto an xs...

Thanks for the input guys. It's all coming together. Found a solution to the sprocket conundrum. See below. Any tips on what to do about the axle ... ?

Hi Qimosabe,
both Harley wheels got 3/4" axles?
Rear, flanged steel bushings adapt the 20mm frame slots to fit the Harley wheel's 3/4" axle.
Front, flanged steel bushings slip into the Harley's 3/4" bearings to fit the XS650's front 17mm axle.
Dunno about whether the Harley wheel in front is narrow enough to fit the XS650 forks or if the Harley wheel in rear's axle length is the correct length. Too long, use washers, too short, yer fukd.

Back