Has anyone built a bagger XS650 ?

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting a fairing on my bike , something like a "Rooster " that I had on a Honda magnum would probably work . Any suggestions or pictures of your bike with a fairing or windshield would help ,thanks .

you mean like this?

Attachments

• 74 TX650A.jpg
    74 TX650A.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 510
That looks sort of like what I have in mind , is that yours ? I was thinking about soft bags and a luggage rack (that I already have ) . Is there a mounting kit that works on an XS or did you have to fabricate it ?

That looks sort of like what I have in mind , is that yours ? I was thinking about soft bags and a luggage rack (that I already have ) . Is there a mounting kit that works on an XS or did you have to fabricate it ?
was mine up graded to a XS1100 (to many bikes insurance costs:yikes:) had to make the rear rack, electrical conduit .... have a conduit bender, bend test fit and a little welding later... a rack... here's the soft bag (Version I) I preferred the hard bags

Attachments

• S6300008.jpg
    S6300008.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 543
I have a factory luggage rack with a sissy bar that has locking storage( looks great and bolts right on ) and have custom saddle bags from when I had horses . Where did you get your fairing ? Did it come with mounting hardware or did you have to fabricate it ? Looks good anyway , comfy for longer trips. Did you change the gearing to make up for added resistance ? How does it perform with the fairing compared to without ?

There weren't many bolt-on accessories offered back in the day for this bike so finding one now will be difficult. You're probably going to need to fab mounts for whatever you find. I run Krauser hard bags and needed to make the strap mounts for the bag racks .....

StrapMounts.jpg

I got my bags sorted out , now I need to find a good fairing , hopefully one that is fairly easy to mount and works well with my bike . Those mounts look good though, I like the idea of removable luggage .

I have a factory luggage rack with a sissy bar that has locking storage( looks great and bolts right on ) and have custom saddle bags from when I had horses . Where did you get your fairing ? Did it come with mounting hardware or did you have to fabricate it ? Looks good anyway , comfy for longer trips. Did you change the gearing to make up for added resistance ? How does it perform with the fairing compared to without ?

I ran 17/31 gearing actually better aero with the fairing + less cross wind buffetting it's a old wixom batwing off E-bay, had to make my own mounts, look at Harley fairings they copied a good thing:laugh: got a sheet of 1/4 lucite from home depot and cut my own windshield sitting behind it the airflow actually drafts forward liked it so much V

Attachments

• S6300684.JPG
    S6300684.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 865
I have your fairing here 30 minutes south of you. Pics on my office computer I'l send tomorrow. It's from a xs750, you will need to fab the mounts. Fairing is good, no scratches or cracks, windshield clear.

I have your fairing here 30 minutes south of you. Pics on my office computer I'l send tomorrow. It's from a xs750, you will need to fab the mounts. Fairing is good, no scratches or cracks, windshield clear.
Hey lake , hows it going ? Haven't seen you on here in a while. Sounds good to me , anything you want to trade for ? I have stock exhaust , ignition parts ( 2 brand new coils in the box ) a bunch of stuff. I will even throw in a set of stock bars off a special for free !

Hey gggGary ,that's like the kind of fairing I am looking for , I have 3 types in mind , one of those ( I think SHOEI made them ) or a "rooster fairing " ( not sure who made them, but they worked well on sportsters ) or a bat wing type .

Does anyone have something like that for sale or trade ?

The one that lakeview has is not what I want because it is fixed to the frame and you cant take it on and off .

yeah you have to watch what you get, some of those frame mounted fairings (Vetter) with the side pockets are quite a bit heavier and then you have the problem of re-locating the headlight, not a pop on and off deal, I figure that's wasted weight on the front end if you've already got saddlebags
you might want to look at the Memphis Shade Batwings or National Cycle Plexifairing or SlipStreamer III have one of those on my Sportster I like having the fairing or windshield cover the handlebar grips (warmer hands)

Last edited:
Back