has anyone heard of this happening?

Morgue13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've rebuilt a set of carbs for my buddy's xs400 but now he says there is gas blowing out of either the pilot or main air jets every time he tries to start it, anyone come across this? I've rebuilt around twenty sets of carbs for both the xs400 and the xs650 and never had this problem before (the bike has been sitting for over five years and has never run right since he got it) thanks for any help:bike:

About the only thing I can think of is the float valves are not closing off. This lets the bowls overflow. On the XS400, from what I've been reading over on XS400.com, a sister site to this one, Float levels were wrong in most of the repair manuals. I don't recall what it should be, but if you go over there and ask, they will tell you.
Leo

I have worked on other engines before that would blow gas out the carbs when there were valve issues. Such as an intake valve not fully closing due to improper valve adjustment, carbon buildup on valves/seats, or improper timing. So you should also verify everything is working correctly in the valve train.
Does it run at all now?

OK he just informed me its done this before I ever touched the carbs after blaming me for messing up his carbs :/ you should have seen the fuel bowls it looked like peanut butter inside:yikes:

Posted via Mobile

No it doesn't but he said he got it going just after he put the carbs on I rebuilt
the bike is a real rat trap hasn't ran in five years and has had no maintenance in that time

he tried running the gas that had been in the tank since it was stored 5 years ago and he has one stock pipe chopped back then one flexible exhaust pipe that's bigger twisted around the front to the other side

Posted via Mobile

Back