has anyone put a 277 rephrase on a dyno tester?

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
I've read all the pros and con's for a rephase but has anyone proved a rephase creates more power? I've never seen a dyno test?

To get a real apples-to-apples comparison you would first have to rebuild the engine with the stock firing order, test it, then tear it down for the re-phase, put it all back together with the same [modified] parts, and test it again.

Most guys are re-phasing because the motor is already worn out and being rebuilt anyway. Rarely will all the same parts be used so it's hard to say if the re-phase makes any difference. I went from a re-phase to stock firing order using all the same top end parts. The re-phase sounded faster but this thing is still pretty quick so I don't think it goes any further than that.

I have a dyno and the means to re-phase an engine. If any of you local boys have a freshly rebuilt engine that you would like to tear down, then bring it on over. You may be disappointed if you are expecting power gains, but your consolation prize will be a sweeter sounding engine.

Back