has anyone used a 1200 sportster tank

jmcamaro69

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Starting my first xs650 build. (1975) And picked up a 1200 sportster tank cheap but it looks like it my be to long 19 inches going with a tc brothers hardtail has anyone used a tank like this? if so let me know how it worked out. Pic. would be nice.THANKS!!

Hey jmcamaro69, welcome to the forum man. Yes, another Kansan!
I just went out and checked my Sportster tank and it's 14.5" as measured at the bottom.
Post a picture up and lets see this tank.
Here's mine.
DSCN0745_zpscbf5f1e5.jpg

sounds like you have a king sporty tank, here is a pic I found of one on a bike
(not my bike)
73a97fd08b34c592707bf0e86e53e18c.jpg

Last edited:
Yup sounds like a king sporty tank. To me they are a little too large for the stock frame. It will fit though.

I opt to use, cut up a early sporty tank ( cut the tunnel, to hug the bike better, all new mounting points) .. They fit these bikes great.. Good looking tanks overall.

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 171
King Sporty tank is generally too long for the back bone. You will end up with the tail of the tank over-hanging. Could work if you are creative with your seat but usually they look kinda strange (opinion only).

I have one too. It doesn't fit anything. It's way too big. I'm thinking about chopping it. I think it would be pretty nice chopped.

I have one too. It doesn't fit anything. It's way too big. I'm thinking about chopping it. I think it would be pretty nice chopped.

fits just fine on a Sportster, got one on my 87 XLH1100 :laugh: the Special tank is small and fits with no problem, why do you guys hate the Yamaha tank? To make a unique one of kind chop, just like all the others?

my tank is a copy of a sportster tank. it's classic motorcycle. hand made, built a bit taller and a little shorter. and honestly, i hardly see a xs650 riding around in portland, and have only once passed a guy outside of portland with a sportster tank. they seem to be more common online than out in the real world.

Thanks for all your time this has helped a lot. Think I will install hard tail first and then take a look at it but sounds like i will be looking for another tank.

....uh if youre installing a hardtail....then the tank can work....it takes more talent to hardtail than to fit a sportster tank.

Back