Has the Stigma of "Jap" Bikes been Exorcised in the USA?

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I remember in my youth, the mid 60's through the 80's, if you had a bike made in Japan you were riding cheap junk, low class etc. Even so there were those of us that either had to buy them or were the only bike we could afford, (except the pedal kind). Now a couple more generations of us have grown up, I hear comments about Motorcycles and the different models to choose from, it is surprising but in teens the trend
is absolutely turning toward bikes built in the Far East.
Harley Davidsons rule as the one and only choice seems to have dimmed and it has been a long time since
riding a "Rice Grinder" was a shameful thing. It actually inspired a whole new world of Cycling, of building a "Chopper" JUST so you ride didn't look like stock. There are those that still think there is only one King of the Road and they do have a pretty good history to back it up, but over the past 40 years the attitude at one major Motorcycle Rally has changed dramatically from when there was the possibility of any Foreign Bike and it's rider caught, took a chance of disappearing from the face of the Earth, if caught after dark in town.
The fact is these Foreign Bikes have always been built exceedingly well. There is of course a difference in the longevity between those noisy stinking 2 cycles and their Cousin the 4 strokers, and anybody that has ever ridden one of the 3 cyl Kawasaki 500 or 750 2 strokers know you had better shut your jaws or you take the chance of having swallowed a couple tooth fillings once you get stopped.
I myself have always loved hitting the winding 2 lane asphalt back roads in the hills, I especially appreciate the European seating of the Triumph and its copied Yamaha XS-650 (Or Yamahumph). The fact you are sitting upright leaning a bit forward and something about that position seems to heighten your reflexes and make you a bit more aware of what might pop out of the bushes or in the city, out of the Alley or around the corner. This was mandated by the narrow streets found in many European Cities,
but after about 100 miles on the highway you had to stop to take the "crick" out of your back unscramble your Brain, and get the tingling and buzzing out of your hands and feet.
I am in my 50's now and keep my old 1975 XS650 (I always loved that, and the "73 models best) I still
ride her from time to time, I wore out my first at about 42,000 miles of love. I wonder how long this one will last with modern lubrication, She has 12,000 miles and doesn't leak a drop, or fail to start 1st or 2nd kick,
I never did use the Electric starters, they just made my teeth grind using them.
Am I getting OLD? Is this my imagination? Or do any of you see the changes, or remember things the same way as this old Iowa Boy? BTW I know of at least one Honda GW closing in on 150,000 miles......unbelievable!
Be Safe and talk to you next time..
Larry Duane
PS: I still prefer to keep my bikes Stock, (looking that is)

I didn't start riding motorcycles until 1974. I have owned 3 motorcycles, and they have all been Yamaha's.........a 1967,a 1976 and now a 1978. I bought Yamaha because they look right, they sound right and they have very high quality. Riding Japanese bikes was never a shameful thing, where I grew up in eastern Canada. That must have been an american point of view.

My remembrance of H-D bikes is that they were heavy, slow and poor quality. Guys would be riding down the road on a H-D and parts would just fall off. Japanese bikes were light, fast and high quality.

I'm 69 and ride my bike quite often; in fact I just got back from a beautiful ride, as today its 25 C. and sunny. If you are only in your 50's, you are not getting old. I plan to ride my bike until I'm at least in my 80's. Its riding that keeps you young.

Yes it was a big deal in the Midwest where I grew up, A friends Honda got trashed by a group of bikers in the 80's during one Sturgis rally
in the late 80's. He said there wasn't enough left worth hauling home, that is sad.
I have owned at least 6 Yamaha Bikes and for one liked the TX 750, especially the 73 if it had the recall kit on it, You had to know how to keep the Counter Balance chain properly adjusted and use the right oil, but they were a heavy beast. One got to 40k before the cam chain adjuster went bad on the highway and clogged up the oil for the cam and locked the bike up. I had the Gold 650 70 or 71? cant remember, but that was a dog but pretty.
I like the extended forks if they were 4", the 6" were too tall. Thanks for the reply.....

I'am the same age, grew up in New Zealand, everything was British bikes, no HD's, no one rode them back then. I also remember going to a bike shop in my teens, looking at the "jap" bikes, two stokers were kinda popular.....my elder brother (wild bastard, ex Angles and now gone) had taken me to a party with all his mates, moles, hangers on....there was a fire out the back and a guy my age came in on a "Jappa", last I saw of it, burning on the fire. It was British bikes or nothing......jump forward 10 years after that, early 80's, the XS650, a cheap man's Bonnie was popular, it was cheap too.... Oh the memories

12047120_1011546395585976_1717537341585131689_n.jpg

The pictured XS1100SF has 156,000 miles on it, or it did at XS Southeast last September. The owner claims the cases have never been split. Even the cam chain is original. Keep in mind, an XS1100 came in at a hefty price point back in the day. It's a very durable machine.

I bought my XS650 new. It has over 53,000 miles on it. That's pretty good for an $1800 motorcycle. I've upgraded the swingarm bushes and steering head bearings. Just today I had it parked on the square and some Harley riders were gawking at it with appreciation. Maybe it was somebody's first street bike as it was mine.
DSCN4692_zpstftxdo15.jpg

I think Harley Davidson owns 60% of the US motorcycle market. They make nice cruisers. What if I don't want a cruiser?

actually its funny how thinks changing, in the 70s in aust if you rode in whats now a outlaw club you had to have a bike 500cc and up and preferably a jap bike.a Harley was ok but frowned on for club evens due to them being to slow to keep up (and two unrelible) .how things have changed... these same clubs (a lot are still around but now a lot bigger) reckon if it aint harly you cant join or use in club events ...but then a lot of bikers seem to prefer their cars to a bike nowdays ,maybe that's why I like the xs650 ,people who own them are passionate about them / work on them and most ride them (and the parts are a lot cheaper /also noticed how the resale value on the xs is going up unlike a lot of bikes..some unnamed.. with a constant drift down..says a lot)

Here, bike riders wave at each other when we meet going opposite directions on the road and when passing another bike stopped at a light or stop sign. About ten years ago and earlier most Harley riders would not wave at a non-Harley. That has changed in the last decade, probably more diverse people buying Harleys now. Still meet the occasional Harley that will not wave, but not too often.

I've worked on Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas and others, Honda engineering clicks in my brain, makes sense to me. Harley is a mix of Evinrude, Johnson and Briggs and Stratton engineering that always surprises me. But, I'm still drawn to the big white full dresser on the Harley show room floor. Those retired black and white copsicles always get my attention too.

Scott

Wellllll, growing UP in the 70's early 80's, and always living in the mid-west, I think the Harley 'stigma' was a real 'thing'. Cool guys rode bikes. Bad asses rode choppers and outlaws rode Harleys. I too, could only afford jap-bikes and had good experiences through the years but it seems like the past 5-10 years things have swung a little. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older? I remember one time when riding back from Sturgis in the late 80's on my absolutely pristine and perfect 1981 Suzuki GS750L I got passed on a highway in wyoming by a group of Hells Angels. These guys ROARED past me so close on each side that our grips just GODDAM near rubbed!!! I shit you not! I wasn't paying attention to anything behind me at the time and was running about 70 mph. They must have seen me, saw I was 'Jappin' it, ran up to WELL over 100 mph and just split me. JESUS, I about piffed myself. Riding along oblivious and all the sudden BLAAAAAAAAHHHHHH they just tear past me so close on each side I could see the threads in the earring studs in their ears! I know I wobbled as the first two ripped past and I noted that the REST of the group passed me with a little more LIBERAL. spacing. ON THE OTHER HAND, earlier that week I had been riding that GS along on a highway in the Hills and an outlaw M/C club member came along side me and looked over at me as I looked over at him. He threw his head back and laughed and shook his head and pointed at my bike and then rolled on his throttle HARD. JUST AS HE CRACKED THAT THROTTLE there was a loud 'POOF!' and his bike DIED. DEAD right THERE. He wobbled a bit and imm'ly pulled to the right and coasted to the side of the road. I couldn't help it. I made a U-turn and went back. Made a U-turn behind him and saw him standing next to his bike on the shoulder. As I rode past at about 15 mph I cackled like a mad-man and just pointed at him. I grabbed throttle and wound that 750 TIGHT up the hill and away. OH MY GOD, he was LIVID! Jumping up and down and screaming at me! I know, it was a dick move on my part, but I was about 24 or 25 at the time and I just couldn't bring myself NOT to show him a shot of Karma! So, Karma later paid ME back by making me trickle in my pants I guess as I got ROARED past on the road... I think there's been some lessening of SOME of the jap-hating, but some of it still exists. Like you might expect...

I remember about half the Harley's would wave but the BMW guys would NEVER wave. I was on my airhead a while back with a hundred things on my mind when a young guy on some ratty old thing went past. I noticed at the last minute the poor guy was waving at me and I totally ignored him, now I'm one of those pricks!

Harley's got put on the back burner big time in the 70's. They were so inferior they damn near went totally under. Nobody on a big Kaw or Suzuki was impressed with anything from Harley. Remember why the Japs were building 700cc instead of 750? Harley got their act together, but it took a long time. I rode an 1100cc Suzuki in 82. It was long, fast as hell, and tough as nails. Harley had nothing but image back then. I worked with a club runner who told me that during any given winter about 1/3 of the Harleys were down for major work. Now they make a decent product (still can't engineer a cam chain tensioner). My son has a 2004 Sportster 1200 and a brand new $28K Ultra something. Both seem to be good stuff. The big one has tremendous lighting and lots of pull. He traded a BMW 1200 K bike in on it. Go figure.

I think a lot of that was offshoots of the signs of the times. Post-Viet vets, blue collar workers, watching what was believed to be the beginning of the end of American business and technology. Industries off-shoring their manufacturing, layoffs, downsizing, big crash of '87. Murmurings of discontent coming to a boil in certain circles. The cry of "Buy American". If you bought import, you were part of the problem...

I think a lot of that was offshoots of the signs of the times. Post-Viet vets, blue collar workers, watching what was believed to be the beginning of the end of American business and technology. Industries off-shoring their manufacturing, layoffs, downsizing, big crash of '87. Murmurings of discontent coming to a boil in certain circles. The cry of "Buy American". If you bought import, you were part of the problem...

That sounds right. Christ, NOW what will we have? 20 year olds riding in 'virtual reality' with a souped up GiGabyte thing? Groooooooaaaaan...

As a harley owner('86 electra glide) and xs650 owner('82 Heritage hardtailed), I get and see the draw of both. There is NOTHING like my electra glide and I love it. There is NOTHING like my 650 and I love it. I enjoyed my sportster that I had for a while, marauder, C50, and CB550(I still miss the CB)...I feel like I'm pretty indiscriminate about bikes. I think some are ugly, not a crotch rocket fan whatsoever, but I don't turn my nose up at any individual manufacturer.

I am not your typical HD rider, but as one that rides both I do notice I am received differently depending on what I'm riding. I also have a couple of GS750's right now too, one as a brat style build(supposed to be a flip but I can't seem to part with it) and the other in the middle of a sorta cafe build that will be sold when I finish(just a cheapish flip project). I would agree though, that the general acceptance of metric bikes has improved in the past few years. However, there are still an awful lot of a-hole HD riders out there that drive me crazy with their pretentious arrogant attitudes.

DSC_8817.JPG
Great stories! I just about bought a Harley in 1989 until my Wife and I pulled up in front of the HD dealership and my Wife saw all of the oil puddles
in front of the store, and even a few drips on the show room floor, and asked me "What is that all about"? I told her "It is fairly normal for some Harleys,
mostly older ones to leak some oil". That sealed it, there was NO way that was happening in our new Garage, and on our Driveway!
I bought a new Shadow 1100 (then put 60k on it before selling it still running great).
Another thing that ticked me off was the fact Harley riders could/can get by with running straight pipes in our town, yet I got pulled over for running turn-out 3/4l length straight pipes on my XS650, and other Kaw 900 and 1000 owners complained about the same thing. I even asked the cop why they got a pass? He actually said it was the HD sound was OK and Jap Bikes just didn't sound good without Baffles? I'm telling you NOTHING sounded as sweet as a good running big inline 4 with straights, OR even with Baffles that had a Mod. by cutting in 1/2 or 1/3rd! That throaty WOM-WOM told me that there was something special behind me.
Don't get me wrong, I love Harleys (rephrase) Harleys made AFTER 1990 and before 1969, But I also really like the riding position of the parallel
twins, like Yamaha, Truumph, BSA, BMW, and Nortons!
I ride a Suzuki C50T Boulevard now, it is water cooled, Electronic Fuel injected, 45 Degree V Twin. That Bike has NO problem running 80 on the Highway (especially with the DJ final drive Mod) it is amazingly smooth, and reliable. It was the final gift my Brother ever gave to me, he passed away
21 Months ago. It is a 2008 with only 5k on it when I got it. It is a Beautiful ride and yet is very nimble and light at 800CC!

Attachments

• DSC_8817.JPG
    DSC_8817.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 219
I was BSing with a guy at a bike meet and this is his story:-
"Back in 1968 when I was a Matchless/AJS dealer in Toronto I visited the AMC factory in the UK.
I asked the boss what he thought about the Japanese bikes that were just hitting the market.
He said :- I gave one of our apprentices the money to go and buy one. We brought it back here
and took it all apart to check it out. Superbly made, lots of innovative touches, really nice little bike.
I couldn't build it here for the amount they are selling it for on the street. I think we're fucked."

I'm just a fan of machines. I appreciate the science and engineering of all motorcycles. I'm always learning and excited too. My lil section of the world does have a bad Harley scene. Office worker by day and then .......throw on that matching Harley gear....poof!! Hell raiser by night. Harley owners where I live tend to wear the matching apparel. Didn't the Power Rangers do this? Lol! Pay someone to bolt on shiny chrome. Speak in acronyms. Me: "Nice ride. Whatcha got?" Person: "FLXH 9er 2010 wide glide special bag deuce lowrider." but can tell you nothing else. Typical and frustrating in my area. Me: "Huh?! WTF" With all the attitudes I run into, I've developed one. I don't participate in poker runs and have a very small crew I ride with. A few solid dudes that are motorcycle enthusiasts like myself. My ex-gf owned a few Harley's. It's sad to me how they raped her checkbook but she had to have the Harley dealer work on it. Hence ex-gf. I could afford a Harley but with all this shit in the neighborhood, I'll pass. The ol' school UAW "Buy Murica!" is bullshit. 100k plus Ohio jobs at Honda or a supplier. Here's a thought, kinda shit but I do believe it's a good point. American education ranks pretty low in the world. How can we make the best products overall? Just sayin.

Last edited:
I think it's dwindling, and I think Indian and Victory are doing American bikes a huge favor. I've never cared for Harleys, but I think the stigma has always been strong enough(and still current enough) that even though I wouldn't want to own a Harley, I'd have a very hard time ever thinking about buying something like a Suzuki Boulevard or a V-star. Even though I'm sure the build quality is great for Japanese bikes, I get the impression that Harley makes cruisers because that's what they do, and Japanese companies make cruisers because that's what Harley does. The Star Bolt looks like a great bike, but it just looks cheap next to a Sportster(not forgetting the fact that 'harley guys' don't even consider the sportster a harley), and even if the engine and handling is better, all of those stamped flat-black painted parts just make it look like a bike you wouldn't want to own for more than a few years. Overall I think Indian and Victory are going to make Harley re-evaluate the way they've been doing things and that'll be good for everybody.

Exorcised no. Diluted yes. There is just a bigger variety of riders now. And more clubs with which to associate.

Ohhhhhhhhh, what about the new Indian Scout...? I like how 'mechanical' the motor looks and how humped over and low the bike itself looks... I LOVE the sound of a modified OR stock shovelhead. The 'ring' of those cast cylinders is just ENGINE. My CB750 chop with my home made 3.5 inch straight pipes sounded like a goddam Maserati when it wound above 7,000 RPM which was cool. Jap or not, I just kinda like most of em...

Back