Has this ever happen to you ?

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
Out for a ride and started pissing oil from the valve cover on my front right . Pulled over and saw that I had lost two acorn nuts and the third was barely holding on . This must of happened all of a sudden or I would have noticed the smoke from it hitting the exhaust and the oil running down my pant leg .

I never touched the valve covers since last spring and they were torqued , had loc-tite on them and a new gasket . Is this common ? Nothing else seems lose .

Not happened to me (yet), but I'm prepared. Have witnessed these:

- Small mechanically inquisitive (or challenged) people within 100 feet of your tools and bike. Usually in the 6-10 year-old age group.

- Onset senility (or schitzophrenia). I've seen my cousin loosen the oil filter on his truck, climb out to get the oil pan he forgot, step inside the house to answer the phone, come back out and drive the truck to the grocery store, puking oil the whole way. Later, he chewed-out his neighbor for sabatoging his truck. Dr. Phil would have fun with this one...

Had my studs let loose on me last season.
I'm guessing between the trashy roads I was on and the PO's knack for cranking things on harder than they should have was why mine popped the studs. I had hot oil from my crotch to my ankle. I'll bet the cars that passed were caught a little off guard when they saw me jumping around holding myself on the side of the road.

Yup, nothing like a crotch full of hot oil to alert you to a mechanical problem , much more effective than idiot lights IMO. At least I got it shut off before I lost all my oil, only went down to the add mark. Another positive to be had from this is at least I know I have lot's of oil pressure, plus I found out that my CAA membership covers motorcycle towing , so the ride home was free !

Back