have to blip throttle to find neutral

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have set my clutch cable per the tech section cold method. I went for a ride today with my son on the back. It was hotter than hell and it wouldn't shift into neutral unless I boil he throttle. Its been so long since I've owned a xs that I can't remember if that's common. I know that they are picky on oil and I'm using honda 20/50 non synthetic I've ran this oil in my 400ex and crf450r for years with no issues. I can't really feel it pulling when I'm at a stand still in gear. Thanks Shaun

pretty common, the gears are straight cut dogs and slots (non-sycnronized) blipping the throttle gives them a chance to line up as the shafts and gears turn at different speeds

Thanks the bike was sitting for a few years so I wasn't sure. I've only put about 60miles on it since I bought it. I really want to get out on a long ride maybe next week. I think I have the carbs close I cured the hanging idle and the backfires for now. The tech section kicks ass and also the search is not to bad. Thanks guys.

Back