Having timing problems

1sthough

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone Im having a problem with timing.My right side is dead on the timing mark but the left side is passed full advance an I cant get it to come all the way back to the timimg mark.Ive adjusted the bottom as far as it will go an dosnt bring it half way back.Any help would be great. Ive been useing a timing light still all stock 77 650D:banghead:

Have you watch the video on how to set timing, valves, etc? you adjust the left side and your TDC you adjust the intake first and then exhaust, then you go to the right side or other side to adjust the valves.

If your points are used, close the gaps up to near the minimum of the spec (.012") and try the timing again.

ive had the points in for two seasons .Ill try that an see what happens. thanks

Thanks 5twins I set the points at .012 an was able to get both sides about perfect.So is that telling me I need to replace the points or would it be something else.Also thanks richard for the help too.

As your points get used and wear, they get pits in them. The spark jumps between the pits so that is the actual gap now. You can't measure between the pits with a feeler gauge. The setting you think you're getting is actually larger because you're using the gap you have between the pits. The only accurate way to set used points is with a dwell meter. That reads the actual point gap electronically.

Usually, points should be good for 15K miles or so. After that, even if the surfaces are not badly worn, the spring steel strip that forces them closed could be getting weak. In that amount of miles, the points open and close literally millions of times, so it's a good idea to replace them every 15 to 20K.

Back