HD front cast wheel to rear of XS?

AceofSpades

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows how to adapt an 07 HD RoadGlide cast 18x3.25" front wheel to be used as a rear wheel on a hardtailed xs650. The HD wheel rides on a 25mm axle and would be ran with a stock HD right side front rotor and caliper.

This particular wheel would really make my build style pop, and I think it's mandatory that you run at least 1 HD piece on an Asian chop.

While I don't agree with your assessment of the need to use brand-X parts, I like the concept. Wheel swaps don't tend to be a drop in operation in my (admittedly limited) experience. HD axle diameters changed at one point so the ID changed but the OD and width are the same, so you can use the 3/4 axle with the other bearing set. Then you'd just need 3/4 adjusters (not sure what HD uses, but you could always drill 17mm stuff for 3/4) and spacers and have to figure out how the brake disc is going to line up and whether you need to change anything there. Fake it together and start measuring - its not an exact science.

Last edited:
the mention of "needing to use HD parts" was actually an inside joke (mainly for myself) because all of the Ford cars I have ever built ended up with at least 1 GM part (usually a DELCO 10SI alternator.. and the fact that my Uncle's award winning long ass Triumph Chopper has always had HD foot pegs on it... but I actually do really like the rim I posted about

Ah, GM - the other brand-x! I'm all about the 1-wire alternator swap, and I've never owned a GM. I'm all about mixing and matching parts. My electric fan swap on my Benz is a Ford fan, a Volvo relay and a two-stage sensor from a different model of Benz. My bike is getting KTM forks and a Ninja swingarm. I just don't get why everyone wants to turn Asian bikes in to Harleys. Harley already makes that bike: if I wanted one, I'd buy it! Different strokes.

If you ever built your own brackets to mount that alternator, you can probably handle this. Is there any bolt pattern to mount a sprocket to?

Yeah, it appears to have a smallish 5 bolt pattern..... and I know a guy that can mill and drill a sprocket to fit pretty much any wheel/pattern. The wheel is actually an 18 inch version of the wheels on lastmonths. BIKE OF THE MONTH on the home page.

Check out the latest issue of THE HORSE (BACKSTREET CHOPPERS). The one with the bleach blonde on the front. There is an informative article on using front Fat Boy wheels to make a rear. A little research, and maybe an e-mail to the article's author, will get you going in the right direction. It details the axle diameter change, which was likely to be across the big-twin line, as HD lets production contracts 5-8 months before production, and as far as I know, offers everything up for competitive bid every time a contract is up.

Back